pronunciations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
is there any site or book that gives correct pronunciations of fish names and such. I feel like such a moron when I am talking to people about fish and I say stuff like gor-a-me and they say OH you mean gor-AH-me.

I think that would work better if everyone agreed on how to pronounce them.

I've pronounced Betta as "Bay-tah", because that's how the pet store employees pronounced it.. then I'm talking to a Betta breeder and she tells me it's "Bet-ah".

I really don't think it matters, as long as the other guy figures it out. Even if you can pronounce it right, it doesn't mean they can, or the person they learned it from can.

"Plee-coh.. pleh-co.. potato.."

Corty said:
II've pronounced Betta as "Bay-tah", because that's how the pet store employees pronounced it.. then I'm talking to a Betta breeder and she tells me it's "Bet-ah".[/quote

It is bet-tah....the other is the way to pronounce the Greek letter 'beta'.

I really don't think it matters, as long as the other guy figures it out.

Augh! It does, it does!!!! :p

Toirtis - why? I can understand it being nice for everyone to pronounce it the same way, but people don't. While I do currently pronounce it "Bet-tah", I get "corrected" ten times as much as when I didn't, and it doesn't help me find one any quicker.

man you dont want to go anywhere where people like cichlids and pronounce that wrong... you get alot of :evil: and some :twisted: and distant :x
it's terrible and your like 8O and :?
so i just figured :roll:

wow, I certainly didn't mean to start anything here. I guess then there is no pronunciation guide anywhere. Oh well. and by the way, I say bay tah.
:twisted:

Bet-ah, not bay-ta. Hence the 2 Ts, unlike beta which has 1. :wink:

I have a question now, how do you say killifish? Is it Kill-y or kee-lee??

ashley

oh i was just saying that those people are fanatics. no offense.
i'm not upset
thats just too enthusiastic for me, beside if someone ends up acting like it really bothers them and gets confrontational about it, i'll pronounce it wrong on purpose..
:twisted:
seriously though
no one should tell us what to do, and really.... who cares

Corty said:
Toirtis - why? I can understand it being nice for everyone to pronounce it the same way, but people don't. While I do currently pronounce it "Bet-tah", I get "corrected" ten times as much as when I didn't, and it doesn't help me find one any quicker.

Perhaps, but why be incorrect if one can help it?

Po-ta-toe.. pa-ta-toe...

If the person you are talking to has been around fish for very long they know just what fish you are talking about.

So who cares if you say the name the same as the next guy?
Not me. :D :D

Toirtis said:
Corty said:

Perhaps, but why be incorrect if one can help it?

Because it sometimes helps me find the fish I'm looking for.

oscarbreeder said:
Po-ta-toe.. pa-ta-toe...

Not really, we are discussing taxonomic nomenclature here, for which there are specific rules of pronounciation as far as the Latin and Greek portions go. A slight mispronounciation can mean the difference between two species, or even genera.

When I was shopping for cichlids, I kept asking to see the 'festivus'.

That is, until someone kindly told me that 'festivum' is a fish, while 'festivus' is the holiday made up by George Costanza's father on Seinfeld. :oops: :oops:

Back
Top Bottom