Pronunciations. . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ha, great thread. I've read so much about fish, but because I haven't really talked about them too much, so I have no idea how to pronounce half of the ones I'm interested in.

Malawi? (Malaw-E or Malaw-I ? I've heard both before...)

Tanganyika?

Acei?

Is Badis Badis pronounced "Badi Badi" ?

BOTia or BOtia ?

Acei is pronounced ay sigh? The guy at the lfs pronounced it A-see-eye. Or is that the same thing?

Thanks TG. I am calling the lfs to order a couple for our 150 and I didn't want to sound like an idiot or have to spell it out to the guy.

Don't worry, FF, half the time the LFS folks don't know how to pronounce it either, so they'll be very impressed with you. :wink:

i once asked a guy at a lps if they ever got in killi-fish and he showed me the khuli loaches, i laughed and said ok thanks.

hahaha...this is such a good thread....id like to add something eventhough is not related to pronunciation but it kinda belongs here....

bacterIUM= 1 ( yeah...just one single organism)
bacterIA = more than one

the rest of the thread i just dont know since english is not my first language...maybe thats why the guy at the lfs is always staring at me (looking kinda confused) and then after a few seconds i get the usual: "sorry dear...what is it that u want again?" haha...

You're right on Dojo, as far as I know...Danio I've always pronounced Dan-eeh-oh...I doubt it's Dan-O...only other possibility is Don-eeh-oh.

As for gonopodium...I've always pronounced it gone-oh-podium

Dan-e-o as three syllables? I have always said dan-yo 2 syllables. Are people laughing at me behind my back?

Danio is three syllables, like Romeo. If you say it quickly, though, it could sound like Dan-yo, so no matter.

Back
Top Bottom