Proper Amazon Sword Planting and Pruning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddkyork

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is there a good article with pictures on how to properly plant the different species of plants in the substrate? I purchased two Amazon swords and some good substrate with tablets for them, but want to make sure I'm doing it right. A picture pointing out the various parts of it would be nice too, such as the rhizome and such. I believe I read the the rhizome needs to be above the substrate for rosetta type plants? What is the rhizome exactly? Sorry for my lack of knowledge, took physics instead of biology in school. :oops: Also, what is the correct way to prune these when leaves go bad or any other situation?

thanks,

Dale

Actually with swords, it's called a crown, and its basically the white area at the bottom of the leaf stems, where they convert into roots.
The crown should be partially above the substrate...half buried.
Trim leaves at the stem, very close to the crown.

Thanks Malkore. :) I added about 3 inches of substrate on top of what I already have to get the plants closer to the light. I have a little over 2wpg right now with the 6700K corallife light I bought. I used Flourite substrate and their tablets. I also bought seachem liquid fertilizer. Right now my water it still a little cloudy, but clearing up fast. Should I go ahead and do a DIY c02 system and run the tube right in between my swords? My swords are about 22 inches from the lights now. I piled up substrate on only one side of my fish tank directly under the light. Will have pics up tonight for everyone to see.

Dale

Usually you can snap the older leaves off at the crown with a quick downward jerk. It takes a little practice not to uproot the plant though. I also use a long handled trimmer to trim my plants that I got at PetSmart. It also has a tweezer attachment. You can use clean stainless steel scissors too.

I bought tweezers and scissors from drsfostersmith.com for about $5 each. pretty nice, stainless steel.
I often just use my thumbnail on smaller plants, but swords really need a true cutting device, especially once matured.

Coo; thx for the info all. :D

:edit:

lg_18764_26659P.jpg

$2.99 for the 6.5"/$5.99 for the 8"

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...k=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=0&Nty=1

Thanks again for the lead, malkore. ;)

:/edit:

Looks good. swords develop wicked root systems, and will push or pull itself from the substrate until it's exactly how it wants to sit. You got it close enough to avoid problems.

Also I bought the 8" scissors :)

lol Malkore, I was just about to ask you if swords did that because I noticed mine pushing themselves out a bit. I thought I was imagining things at first! thanks. :)

Going to buy stuff for the filter, so I Can take out the old carbon that's been in there. Any suggestions anyone? I was thinking some bio rings or that seachem purigen stuff.

Dale

Back
Top Bottom