Protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armyman16

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey I am in the middle of making a deal with a guy from Craigslist and he has a sump but I'm not sure about a protein skimmer, is a protein skimmer needed for a reef tank?

On a tank larger than say 30g or so I would strongly suggest a skimmer, especially if it's gonna be a reef tank. An invaluable piece 0of equipment, well, at least if you get a decent one. The $50 crappy ones on ebay arent worth the bother.

Okay well he says he has one so I'm going to go pick it up in a few minutes and that will begin my adventure of a 75 gallon reef!! :D

When I go pick it up, I am going to ask him about the light, what should the wattage be on a 75 gallon for all reef corals?

Wattage would vary depending on desired live stock, but anything over 200w would cover most things you would want, whether it's led, t5, t5ho, metal halide, power compacts, would make a difference, but anything over 200w would be a decent light for your tank. Other things than wattage would need to be considered also though.

Okay well she said I need to buy a new pump for the protein skimmer/sump, how many gallons per hour of a pump should I buy? I think she has 120 gph on there now, should I just buy the same one?

Depends if you are talking about the pump for the skimmer or the return pump for the sump. If it is for the skimmer I would replace what she has. If it is the return pump for the sump, you will need something much more gph to match the overflow.

It is on the side with the protein skimmer, this is my first sump so I don't know much about it yet, but it almost right below the skimmer.... My friend told me that I need a pump that will cycle the tank 3 times an hour. Was he talking about the pump for the sump?

If it is connected to the skimmer then it is for the skimmer, not the sump. There should be an air line from the upper part of the skimmer to the pump. This pump is to feed the skimmer and suck in air to create the foam that it uses to float off the gunk that collects in the cup.

If it is in the last section of the sump then it is the return pump. In this case the flow rate of the return pump needs to be rated for the overflow that is bringing water to the sump. Basically, you want to pump the water back to the tank at a rate equal to the rate that the overflow is taking it from the tank.

How can I tell what the rate is? I didn't think to ask when I purchased it

Others on this site are better at telling that than I am. I think a 1" everflow from the tank will carry 600gph if I remember right. I put a return pump in that was overrated and used a ball valve to be able to adjust the flow from the return pump.

You should be able to look up the skimmer online and get the specs. Go with the recommended. I have a 75 gallon and I use 8 T5's. Have several types of corals, anemones and all are doing good. Is your sump a Refugium or just regular sump?

How do I look up the sump? It's a normal sump not a refugeum

I also have a sump, but a sump can be converted to a refrigium if necessary. I planned on making mine as a refrigium, but remember that if you have a refrigium you'll need to buy a light source for it as well. EBay will be your best bet for that.

Don't worry about a refrigium right now. Get things going with the setup and the skimmer first. A skimmer is much more important than a fuge. Once the skimmer is set up and good to go, then worry about a refrigium. Like stated above, just google the skimmer and replace what was already on it and it will be good to go.

Just remember, in the 3 sections of a sump the first should hold your skimmer, second will be your fuge, and third will be your return pump.

In the fuge, you mean filter pads, bio balls ad gravel right?

You don't use bio balls in a fuge. The macro algae in a fuge produces the same result, without excess build up of detrius and garbage that gets stuck in the bio balls, resulting in them needing cleaned or they will no longer be effective and cause nitrate levels to rise.

Gravel is also not used in saltwater due to the same reason above. Crushed coral substrate also has this issue, which is why most people use sand.

Sand and LR can be added to a fuge setup, but if the correct amounts are present in the DT then you are not going to see any other added benefit. I just have cheato in mine on a bare bottom.

How do I clean the bio balls? The lady said they were dirty, or do I just need to buy some new ones? So your saying I shouldn't use gravel, she has something in there like it right now

Oh no, I know it is not used in the actual tank but she has it below the bio balls in the sump

I would simply take out the bioballs and rince them under your tap really well.

Post a picture of this "gravel" you are talking about. I'd hope it would be a crushed coral substrate rather than gravel if anything...Either way, a picture will tell us what is up in this case.

Back
Top Bottom