Protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That "sump" you have there is considered a "wet/dry" as the bio balls are partially exposed and water trickles over them, keeping them wet, but not submerged. I would remove that crushed coral substrate under the bio balls and rinse the bio balls very well if you intend to use that setup.
Those filters are very good at converting ammonia into nitrites, and then nitrites into nitrates, but that's where filtration ends with that wet/dry. You'll have a hard time keeping the nitrate levels low with it. I would also suggest a new sump. Something partitioned and large enough to hold a decent protein skimmer.

It wouldn't be conducive to a healthy reef, Hank. Adding more (fully submerged) live rock to the system would be a better idea than adding bio balls.

Well for now I dont have much money as I am still in high school and working ever hour possible so I will stick with the setup I have for the time being, should I wash or clean the crushed coral under the bio balls or replace them of just completely take them out?

Ok, replace the crushed coral or get rid of completely?

I removed the crushed coral but now I have alot of room between the bio balls and the top of the sump, what should I put on top or under them?

Haha yeah all the bio balls are exposed to air right now, I still haven't setup the tank yet, I'll take a pic real quick though

Haha thanks man, i know I'm doing a saltwater tank but I hate the feeling of all that moist salt on my hands! And it was weird when I was cleaning it, their was a whole bunch of broken glass on the side with the protein skimmer if I remember correctly...

You'll have to figure out where you'll keep the water level in the wet/dry and if the bio balls are submerged, you'll need to add a few more. I would rince out that blue sponge filter on the bottom pretty frequently also.

I say if were sticking with the wet dry setup, which is what I have in my all in one sort of tank, use a carbon filter pad on top of the bio balls to help keep the water clear, I just by the cut to fit type and put it on top, water flows thru that before trickling thru the wet dry.

Someone correct me but once the tank is up and running, don't clean all your ballet the same time as you will kill off the beneficial bacteria. Only rinse a third or so in salt water as you do your water change. Just use some old tank water and do your best to knock the gunk off.

Back
Top Bottom