Puffer fish?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tyler3533

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I just saw these guy at Walmart today. I never buy fish from walmart but when I saw these I was curious if I could keep then in a 29 gallon fresh water tank. Are puffers freshwater fish? Or do they require salt?

Attachments

• image-439191397.jpg
    image-439191397.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 869
They need brackish, and then full marine as they get older. I wouldn't keep a 6 inch fish in a 29 anyway.
There are a couple species of dwarf puffer that are full fresh and that stay small that you could order off the internet

tarpon said:
They need brackish, and then full marine as they get older. I wouldn't keep a 6 inch fish in a 29 anyway.
There are a couple species of dwarf puffer that are full fresh and that stay small that you could order off the internet

If I got some full fresh ones. Would they work with other types of fish. And how many would I get that is the right size of group

In my reading they do best in a species only tank. You can send a private message (pm) to Terrance. He has owned many species of puffers

If I got some full fresh ones. Would they work with other types of fish. And how many would I get that is the right size of group
No they will not work with other fish. They are VERY aggressive and will attack the other fish. Just wondering, what size tank do you have yours in? I have one in a 5.5g:)

AquaKai said:
No they will not work with other fish. They are VERY aggressive and will attack the other fish. Just wondering, what size tank do you have yours in? I have one in a 5.5g:)

I do not have them in the tank yet. But I have a 29gallon cycling right now. So just finding ideas.

I do not have them in the tank yet. But I have a 29gallon cycling right now. So just finding ideas.

I would definitely do DPs if you want a puffer:) But if you're not then you could do some other really cool fish! I really want a tank with nannacara anomala, they're GORGEOUS!!!
nannacara_anomala_1.jpg
Oh, and diamond tetras to go with them;) But that's just my dream 29g...:whistle:

AquaKai said:
I would definitely do DPs if you want a puffer:) But if you're not then you could do some other really cool fish! I really want a tank with nannacara anomala, they're GORGEOUS!!! Oh, and diamond tetras to go with them;) But that's just my dream 29g...:whistle:

Yeah I haven't really decided on the fish yet. Is it better to buy them online eater than the lfs. I feel like they would have a better selections online as well

Yeah I haven't really decided on the fish yet. Is it better to buy them online eater than the lfs. I feel like they would have a better selections online as well

It really depends on what you want and which pet store. For example if I wanted just a pet betta I would do a pet store, but if I wanted a betta to breed I would buy online or from a breeder. It really depends. I've bought all my fish from pet stores, but I'm looking online for breeding bettas and some rarer cichlids. This is just me but for cheaper things I like buying from pet stores because it's ridiculous to have something cost more for shipping than the actual thing, but that's my opinion.

You can find a lot more out of the ordinary fish online. Look up honeycomb catfish. They could go in there and I've been interested in them for my 29 for a while

Back
Top Bottom