Puffer fishhhh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evan20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Are their any freshwater puffer fish that are peaceful?

IME indian dwarf puffers are semi peaceful. they are great at nipping fins though. there's also Colomesus asellus. it's pretty peaceful compare to others. but like i said, most puffers will nip fins of other fish. but i never had my dwarf puffer killing the other fish in my community tank, plus they're the cutest thing there is in the freshwater puffer community.

Some people have success with Amazon puffers in community tanks, although the tank needs to be the right size and I'm sure there are some restrictions on stocking.

Amazon puffers are also rare in pet stores. My Lfs only gets them once a year

Can they eat small fish and how long do they grow.

South American (amazon puffer) gets around 4 inches in aquariums sometimes bigger. They could be kept with similar size fish as bigger ones can be intimidating to them, and smaller ones may be picked on. Also avoid fish with long flowing fins as they can be fin nippers.

SAP are one of the worst for their teeth growing fast so be prepared to deal with the issue when it comes along.

Back
Top Bottom