Pulsing Xenia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meandtery

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I need advice, my pulsing xenia is not opening up, looks healthy but different, any suggestions

Hard to tell without knowing anything about your tank. What size? Lighting? Water params? Height placement of xenia? How much flow to them?

Our tank is a 40 gallon, and we have a 125 watt, clear and aten?, supposedly twice what we need, they were doing really well until we moved two months ago, now they just don't happy :-( They are positioned about midway and higher in the tank and I have two power heads going, I added Iodine tonight, not sure if it was low that is something we have never checked. PH, nitrates, nitrites, amonia and calcium is all good, salt is at the ideal level, temp. is 80.8 with the light off, I'm sure it gets warmer when the light is on

125 watts of what kind of lighting? T5? Power Compacts? Seems to be a little low for that size of a tank. But if you said they were doing good before then i dont know. Xenia can be fickle sometimes. They can be happy one second then start to shrivel the next. Try repositioning them up or dow to see if that makes a difference. IMO, lighting plays the biggest role. I have kept xenia in 3 different tanks and they would not thrive unless they had specific lighting (my 120watt LED panel). Ive tried two other types of LEDs and they did not like them.

you don't need and shouldn't dose iodine. If you do regular water changes you have more than you will need. Over dosing iodine will kill your entire tank off. Plus you should never dose anything you are not testing for. How do you know what your iodine levels are? Xenia are strange as to they grow like weeds or not at all. You can also have a tank full and make no changes and they will shrivel up and be gone in 2 weeks. Right now mine are in the weed category.

Back
Top Bottom