purigen in planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last time I checked out dry fertilizers I didn't want to spend that much at one time buying the large amounts. But i suppose I could look into it again. I have a lot going on day to day, work, karate practice, homework with one kid in pre-k and the other in first grade, church, plus my own occasional online class and day to day household upkeep. I wanted csomething simple! Lol.

Surprisingly I just tested my nitrates before my water change and they are reading between 20-40 ppm. That's pretty significant since I usually get a reading of between 5-10 ppm. But I did recently add the 3 clown loaches. (I added all 3 after being after QT in a 10 gallon for 2 weeks and prophylactically medicated with parasite guard) they are small though, about 1 inch.

So for now I will pick up some potassium to use in addition to my comprehensive. And it has been more than 3 months since I've added root tabs so I will get some more. My plants always look amazing after adding fresh root tabs.

Why not try getting some root tabs, or API leaf zone ? I use Seachem Flourish, API Co2 booster, and API leafzone... I don't use root tabs in my 27g and 30G because they have undergravel filters which I didn't want to take out... I would have had to destroy the entire tank prior to get them out so I left them in... The UGF dissolves the root tabs in my water making it cloudy for a few hours... They work fine in my 55g though which has no UGF..

But yea anyway I use API leafezone.. it has lots of potassium and some Iron in it.. Seems to work great the mix of ferts and co2 im using.. All my plants are bright green and healthy and no holes in them.. My color plants even seem to be doing good too. Basically I do daily doses of CO2 in the morning on my 27 and 30g 3ML on the cap per intructions.. and the flourish I use half a cap full which is for 30g twice a week.. And the leafzone I use 1 1/2 cap full once a week.

I don't like Java fern... I have some in my 55g... for one its pretty ugly now that I have better looking plants.. and 2 it doesn't seem to grow at all and it looks all sickly and stuff... its weird because my other plants like red neseae and my red tiger lotus and other "harder" to grow plants are doing way better

I need to find a replacement plant then. Maybe Ill just do all anubias lol

you can buy API leaf zone in petsmart a giant bottle for $12 or something.. Mine lasted over a month with 3 tanks using a smaller bottle... with your 1 tank ad a big bottle im sure it will last quiet awhile...

I wish my liquid CO2 lasted longer though... LOL

I may try some of the API leafzone.

I don't care for java fern either. It grows really well in my kids 10 gallon tanks though (guppies and neon tetras) so I just put a few clumps in my tank for more variety. Everything grows well in the little tanks becuase they are all so close to the lights.

Is the liquid CO2 from API similar to excel?

I dunno if you like this plant... but water sprite IMO looks really cool and based on me having it I've noticed it grows super easy and really fast.. and looks awesome IMO.

img_2661153_0_e6f8b2d2be2bddf1c267f719e97e4be8.jpg

img_2661153_1_5560b0b5abf45e563c98499fbb227399.jpg

I haven't seen any water sprite around here but have wanted some.

Nice rainbows btw!

I dunno if you like this plant... but water sprite IMO looks really cool and based on me having it I've noticed it grows super easy and really fast.. and looks awesome IMO.

I have had this plant before actually! The reason I dont have it is it overtakes every tank I put it in! Lol none of my other plants ever grew with it! I was afraid it was outcompeting them for food! I also like cabomba but I cant seem to grow it either...

What are signs of calcium deficiency and what is a good way to supplement? I have a feeling the snails are using a lot of calcium for their shells....

What are signs of calcium deficiency and what is a good way to supplement? I have a feeling the snails are using a lot of calcium for their shells....

Im not sure that can cause a calcium deficiency. However if they are ramshorns or pond snails you could add an assassin snail and he would eat the others and leave their shells to dissolve..

Im not sure that can cause a calcium deficiency. However if they are ramshorns or pond snails you could add an assassin snail and he would eat the others and leave their shells to dissolve..

They are Malaysian trumpet snails and I like them for the sand but I remove a lot because I dont need too many. Recently I've been crushing them for the clown loaches, they love it!

This is the dry ferts, $15... Estimative Index | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums. This gives you all the macro and micro ferts you need and will last you a couple years or more if you have a smaller tank or tanks. You don't have to buy the dosing bottles which would be another $20 and the only other cost would be a bottle of distilled or RO water to mix them with.

Do you feed your fish daily, in the morning? If so you add you liquid ferts when you feed and add your liquid carbon. It's not hard or complicated.

Excel and API CO2 Booster are both the same, a liquid carbon. They both use the same active ingredient glutaraldehyde. Personally I use Metricide 14 Day Solution which is glutaraldehyde 2.6%. A gallon costs about $27 including shipping. It's mixed at a 1:1 ratio with Distilled or RO water to get 2 gallons for $27. Your just not paying for a name brand. I've used this for years.

I'm all for cost effective which dry ferts and Metricide both are.

They are Malaysian trumpet snails and I like them for the sand but I remove a lot because I dont need too many. Recently I've been crushing them for the clown loaches, they love it!

Oh then definetly get an assassin or a few depending on tank size! They will not wipeout he population of snails but they will eat 1 every couple of days. After they eat MTS they leave a little "plug" that the loaches should thouroughly enjoy! I had cpos that adored the little "plugs"!

If you have hard water with a high ph you most likely have enough calcium in it. A Kh of 4 or above is enough calcium for snails and plants. Some people add a piece of cuttlebone in their tanks to dissolve as a cheap way to supply calcium. IMO unless you have large apple snails or very soft water extra calcium really isn't needed.

If you have hard water with a high ph you most likely have enough calcium in it. A Kh of 4 or above is enough calcium for snails and plants. Some people add a piece of cuttlebone in their tanks to dissolve as a cheap way to supply calcium. IMO unless you have large apple snails or very soft water extra calcium really isn't needed.

I hope this isnt off topic but if I did add cuttlebone would it effect ph or change the water in anyway other than adding calcium? I have very soft water and need a little boost that doesnt need daily doses :)

What is a cuttlebone? I have hard water so I probaby dont need it.

Do assassin snails eat plants? Would the loaches try to eat an assassin snail? What is the actual name for this kind of snail and where might I find one?

I don't feed my fish everyday... I am so sporadic I sometimes go days without feeding. Usually on my days off I feed whenever I remember. Some days frozeb cubes of bloodworms or brine shrimp, other days flake food. Shrimp pellets and algae wafers a few times a week, zucchini a couple times a week.

I work 12 hour shifts usually 2-3 days on and 2-3 days off. On days I work. Nothing gets fed and water quality is pristine.

Most people don't understand what its like to work 12 hours. And while my shift is 12 hours I'm usually actually at work for 13-14 hours. By the time i get home, check homework, lay out school clothes... im so exhausted sometimes I fall asleep while tucking in the kids or pass out on the couch without eating.

You need to do some research on using cuttle bones in tank water. Yes they will add calcium but IMO the rate they dissolve and how much calcium they add to the water can't be controlled. If you have soft water then you are low in both calcium and magnesium (probably). You can use Epson salt to add magnesium but again I don't know amounts so you'd have to do research.

You need to do some research on using cuttle bones in tank water. Yes they will add calcium but IMO the rate they dissolve and how much calcium they add to the water can't be controlled. If you have soft water then you are low in both calcium and magnesium (probably). You can use Epson salt to add magnesium but again I don't know amounts so you'd have to do research.

But what IS a cuttlebone?

I will most likely be on 12 hour shifts soon as well. I am sporadic in my feeding as well.
I do not like anything that has salt in the name lol I killed some perfectly fine cories with salt fron frozen prawn eggs!
Cuttlebone (maybe cuddlebone) is the hard white block people give pet birds.

And on my days off I am playing catch up with laundry, housework, running errands taking kids to extracurriculars... etc ..

I love my life though! Wouldnt want a mon thru friday job, I enjoy my days off!
My husband is on nights right now so while he tries he is pretty useless most days but I can't blame him. I was the same when I worked nights. At least when he's home he cooks dinner and does some housework but I don't let him touch my fish.... he takes care of the snakes and the cat.

And on my days off I am playing catch up with laundry, housework, running errands taking kids to extracurriculars... etc ..

I love my life though! Wouldnt want a mon thru friday job, I enjoy my days off!
My husband is on nights right now so while he tries he is pretty useless most days but I can't blame him. I was the same when I worked nights. At least when he's home he cooks dinner and does some housework but I don't let him touch my fish.... he takes care of the snakes and the cat.

Haha nice. Ill be working nights. And very few people are given permission to mess with my tanks lol

Back
Top Bottom