Putting rock/equpiment into storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdob141

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm moving in a month or so and don't really want to go through the hassle of moving a "stocked" tank so I've decided to pack everything up and put it into storage. I'm going to be selling the live stock (1 clown and 1 dotty-back) back to the LFS. Anyone have any suggestions for preparing/packing the 60+ lbs of live rock? I'm not going to bother trying to keep them wet as they might be in storage for a few months, nor am I going to try to keep the sand/gravel. The 55g tank is going to be sold/trashed because the cross-member is cracked pretty bad and I really don't want to worry about it breaking in our new house. Any advice would be appreciated.

In all honesty I would look at trying to sell the rock on craigslist; you could probably get about $200 for it. After a few months in storage, the rock will pretty much be worth less than base rock. If I was in your shoes (which I will be in a few years) I'd use the $200 to buy some nice base and live rock when I finally get settled in.

If you're still set on keeping it, you should let the rock sit outside and dry out completely, then pack it (this should cut back on some of the smell).

Back
Top Bottom