Pygmy cories, ill or just getting old

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

libertybelle

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been having the worst luck with my Pygmy cories lately. Seems like every few weeks I’m seeing one looking a little pale, listing a bit or with slightly clamped fins. No water quality issues, others look fine. Within a few weeks they’re gone and another looks a little off.

Nothing new has been added to the tank in a few months. Tank has been cycled for a couple years. I never see ammonia or nitrite. Nitrate stays 0-5. (Plants use most of it up. Now that I have a few snails in there it’ll sometimes get up to 5.)

I had been wondering if there was some slow acting illness in the tank but it just last night occurred to me that I’ve had most of my Pygmy cories for about 2 years. I’m not sure how old they were when I bought them, obviously, but it seems like they may just be pushing up against their ~3 year life span? Is there something I should be doing or are they just getting old :(

The lifespan of a pygmy Cory is 3 years so maybe that could be the case :(

Could you post a picture of the Cory? To evaluate if he/she has some illness...

Please post pictures!!
My one fish became very 'listless' pale and eventually died from a fungal infection... and that is easily spread from fish to fish.. do you see any white dots (ich) or any white fuzzy stuff anywhere in the tank (fungus)??
I treated with Kordons rid ich plus. It IS SAFE for scaleless fish like Cory's and kuhli's.. however it IS NOT invert safe... but I totally believe this stuff saved my tank I lost a garra and a kuhli. But once treatment, I had zero additional losses!!

How old are your cats? If you are even considering old age.... it could be a possibility!! And if that is the case, I'm sure you have given them a long and wonderful life. :)

I don’t have a picture right now because at the moment they all look fine. Never had any spots or anything. Just went off color and eventually listless and death. I have quarantined one that went off color before and treated with paraguard and Maracyn 2 and saw no improvement.

I’ve had them for 2 years, approximately, and considering I don’t know how old they were when I bought them, they could be coming up on 3 years, I’m just not sure.

I would love to get more after I move, but I’ve been nervous to. Obviously if their is some kind of illness I don’t want to add anything.

I'm so sorry for what happened to your Cories! If you didn't see anything weird on them, they probs died from a natural cause. I'm sure they lived a healthy and happy life because of you :)

I agree.. it may have just been their time.
But I am sure they had a wonderful life!!
Especially considering how worried and caring and concerned you seem!!.I am sure they had a great life!! :) and that is about the best thing we can hope for for our little finned friends. :)
I wish you the best of luck!!

Back
Top Bottom