Pygmy corys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mystery

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a tank that is actually two 5 gallons linked with a wide 1 gallon aqua-bridge (which I bet the corys will love but even the snails use it--I will probably add another bridge later). It currently has a few snails and cherry shrimp. One side is densly planted, the other has just a few plants and some rocks made into caves for the shrimp. Both sides haved deep fine, rounded gravel and I plan to add some sand.

I am expecting a delivery or 3 pygmy coryes, latter to be joined by another three--that will be a total population fo the tank:

6x pygmy cory
2x apple snail
cherry shrimp

Does anyone see a problem with that set up? Is that about the right number of corys or should I add a couple more?

p.s. the tank is cycled with its current population, no ammona, mod-hard water and generally about 75 degrees.

Thanks. These are the cory pygmaeus, so they don't get over about an inch in size (or so I am told). I hope the behave a bit like the larger corys as I have always liked them, but I am in a rented apartment and need to keep my tanks small. But if that seems like it is too many I can trade them on.

i have a dozen pygmeaus in my 10g, they are teeny tiny and a bit shy. tehy will use the entire water column however. Keep in mind, if you provide them ample hiding spaces they will use them to the fullest making them not very visible.

edit: they are smaller than adult cherry shrimp if that helps for perspective on size

Thanks, that helps. It sounds like they are just what I was after. I don't need fish to be on display all the time, but I keep them by my writing desk and love to see them come out from time to time. Even the shrimp have been rather entertaining when they come out for their evening stroll, and the apple snails have quite a lot of character too, in their own way.

I would get enough to have maybe 8-10 if you can find them. :) They do hide alot, if you have hiding spaces, but they will school around in a large group at times too. The more you have, the more you'll see them IME.

They are tricky to find for sale. I have a few coming and the rest on back order.

The first batch arrived today in very good packing from 'Corys R Us' which included a thick walled polystyrene box. They look great so far!

Congrats! Glad they arrived ok! I have heard some different reviews on Corys R Us....good to know you had a good experience with them. :)

I am officially in love with pygmy corys. I think this is the perfect combo with my cherry shrimp and apple snails.

Can anyone recommend a specific live food product for such a small cory? Brine shrimp? I doubt they could even ingest anything bigger?

So far only one of them has crossed the aqua-bridge to the lightly planted tank, hopefully his/her friends will figure it out soon.

Back
Top Bottom