Question about my Oscar.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OrangeHasSmiles

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had my oscar for about 4-5 months got him when he was around 2-3 inches long. He is now approximately 7 inches long currently in a 45g tank will be upgraded to a bigger tank in a couple of months. I feed him pellets, occasionally I give him feeders fish around every other month since I heard that feeders are not to healthy for them. He also has a tank mate a pleco about 5 inches long been with my Oscar near the beginning and he is doing fine. I notice my oscar has been darting around in short burst, started about a month ago. I did some research and people with somewhat similar problems and people replied to them that they should do some x% water change. I regularly change his water every week about 60% via gravel cleaner I suck out about 30% of the water then refill the tank and repeat then Clean my filter. I do not think it is the tank's water, though I have never tested my water before. Maybe it is a parasite/seizures? I am just curious what is happening to my fish cause now these darting are be coming more violent and he starting to rub his head on the gravel as these darts happens and is occurring more often. So please help me figure out what is wrong.

One, you really need to get your water tested just in case...... Oscars are very messy fish and produce a LOT of waste, so your nitrates could be way up there. Try doing a mid-week 50% pwc and see if it helps.

Second, you will want to get him into a bigger tank much sooner rather than later. At 7", he's already way too big for a 45g, and that's what could be irritating him......

Darting is a symptom of poor water conditions. I would upgrade him to a 75g for him and his pleco to live together. And test your water with a liquid test kit ASAP. Until u get a new tank I would do two large water changes a week. And I wouldn't clean your filters as much, definitely don't change them. Good luck

Sounds good, I will try to get a 75+ gallon tank in a week or 2. See what size tank I want optimal for my fish and my living space. Will start to clean my tank mid week. Thanks for your guys advice.

Back
Top Bottom