Question about walmart fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
At walmart the fancy guppies say they need a teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon, is this true? I thought they were fresh water. It also describes a couple other fish like that in the fish descriptions. Can anyone shed light on this. I like guppies, but I like plants better.

Atxpunx said:
At walmart the fancy guppies say they need a teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon, is this true? I thought they were fresh water. It also describes a couple other fish like that in the fish descriptions. Can anyone shed light on this. I like guppies, but I like plants better.

No they do not. Some people like to put aquarium salt with their fish because it helps keep diseases away but no they don't need salt they are completely freshwater fish:)

No they don't. a lot of the chain stores add salt to their tanks and recommend it but most of the fish don't need it and some shouldn't have it. A PetCo employee told me they have to add salt to all of their tanks to keep the toxins from hurting the fish since they are often in uncycled and/or not very well maintained tanks at the large chain stores.

Awesome! Sounds like I'm getting guppies. Do they only have males or can u get females too?

females are the big ones with no color
usually the store will have them also but sometimes not
also, males have what looks like a small fish attached to the rear of their bellies, Im sure u can figure out what this is
you can mix guppies with any other guppy and they will have babies, though they may not be pretty
I used to selectively breed guppies till I had hundreds of them
that's when I bought an arawana.....

also some fw fish can be brackish water then turned into salt but their life spam its reduce, i knew a guy that used to get mollies and slowly adapted them to be salties and he used them on his coral frag tanks and also when he was half way the cycling process to speed up his sw tanks

Yeah guppies are freshwater but salt can be added if they become sick. Also i wouldn't get fish from walmart. They do not take care of their fish. If possible i would go to a local fish/pet store. If there isn't one just look over the fish the best you can at walmart to make sure they are healthy. If you are adding them to a tank with fish in it already i would put the new fish in another tank for a few days to see how they do before adding them to the main tank.

Implying that every WalMart store is the same is no different than stating that PetsMart or PetCo stores are all the same. They are not. You really do need to treat any lfs as an individual entity, whether mom & pop or big chain.

Posts containing blanket statements about large chain stores have been removed. The above post is spot on.

It is against the rules of this forum to post derogatory statements about stores in general unless they come from first hand experience, and then, only the store in question may be referenced. Further instances violating our rules will result in this thread being closed.

Back
Top Bottom