Question on dwarf gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awh man.
I just bought 2 female and a male but I love there color and I wanted another male.
Do the males tend to be aggressive with other fish?

I have two males and two females in a 40g and everything is fine.. If anything I have this one female platy that bullies them a little bit.. But it's in a very docile tank.. Guppy, platy, danios, dwarf gouramis.

I have two males and two females in a 40g and everything is fine.. If anything I have this one female platy that bullies them a little bit.. But it's in a very docile tank.. Guppy, platy, danios, dwarf gouramis.

All fish have their own personalities. The bully platy is a good example of that. Sometimes the fish get along great and sometimes they do.t. then again some fish that get along great can end up hating each other as they age.

It's just not likely they will get along in a 30 because its just not very big.

Absolutely.. Also my tank is highly planted with caves and hiding spots.. Makes everyone get along better :) I also tend to choose the exact fish I want at the lfs, I even leave if I find them too aggressive.

I've got 5 males - It depends on the gene pool

How many male dwarf gourami's can be in a tank of 30 gallons?
I have 5 male dwarf gourami in my 29 gallon tank. They all get along fine. Here is my total stock in that tank per my profile:

5 Glo-Tetra
3 Dojo Loach
1 Rainbow Shark
5 Dwarf Gourami (all male)
2 Kribensis Cichlid
1 Half Black Angelfish

and all get along splendid ....... including the small angel that nobody tries to "fin-nip."

The reason I got so many dwarf gourami in the first place is that while I loved my lone male, I wanted more. Then, I saw a tankful of beautiful powder blue male dwarf gourami for sale at Petsmart ..... all getting along fine. So I thought to myself "if they get along here ... why not in my tank."

Interesting, even aqadvisor.com does not raise red flags about too many dwarf gourami.

AqAdvisor - Paul29Tank

It really goes with their personalities, I had 3 males for the longest time, one died and the two left started going after each other like crazy.. That's when I got my two females.. Since then everything is good!

Awh. Well I do I want do add one more male which would be the flame gourami but idk if I have a full tank already. At this moment I have

2 angel fish (still small)

3 guppies

I tinee tiny pleco (I know they grow large so will upgrade when I see he is bigger)

3 dwarf gourami's (2 females and 1 male)

Will one more male seem too over crowded in a 30 gallon tank?

*************** I have 5 male dwarf gourami in my 29 gallon tank. They all get along fine. Here is my total stock in that tank per my profile: 5 Glo-Tetra 3 Dojo Loach 1 Rainbow Shark 5 Dwarf Gourami (all male) 2 Kribensis Cichlid 1 Half Black Angelfish and all get along splendid ....... including the small angel that nobody tries to "fin-nip." The reason I got so many dwarf gourami in the first place is that while I loved my lone male, I wanted more. Then, I saw a tankful of beautiful powder blue male dwarf gourami for sale at Petsmart ..... all getting along fine. So I thought to myself "if they get along here ... why not in my tank." Interesting, even aqadvisor.com does not raise red flags about too many dwarf gourami. AqAdvisor - Paul29Tank

Just out of curiosity how old are your DGs?

I have 5 male dwarf gourami in my 29 gallon tank. They all get along fine. Here is my total stock in that tank per my profile:

5 Glo-Tetra
3 Dojo Loach
1 Rainbow Shark
5 Dwarf Gourami (all male)
2 Kribensis Cichlid
1 Half Black Angelfish

and all get along splendid ....... including the small angel that nobody tries to "fin-nip."

The reason I got so many dwarf gourami in the first place is that while I loved my lone male, I wanted more. Then, I saw a tankful of beautiful powder blue male dwarf gourami for sale at Petsmart ..... all getting along fine. So I thought to myself "if they get along here ... why not in my tank."

Interesting, even aqadvisor.com does not raise red flags about too many dwarf gourami.

Then again paul went the other direction with stocking territorial fish. Overloading your tank with them so they set up a hierarchy and a pecking order. Similar to the way betta harems or cichlid tanks are stocked.

Just out of curiosity how old are your DGs?
OK ...... the oldest one I got September 2013. The 4 newest ones I got 2 each on Jan 12 & 14, 2014.

Here is a picture already in my "album" right after I got 2 of the last 4 on 1-12-14:

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Paul1792's Album: Paul1792's 29 gallon - Picture

I forgot that I had originally bought 2 on one day ...... then when I saw how well they all got along, I went back to PetSmart and got 2 more from the same batch. They are probably fairly young and measure about 2 inches or less.

OK ...... the oldest one I got September 2013. The 4 newest ones I got 2 each on Jan 12 & 14, 2014.

Here is a picture already in my "album" right after I got 2 of the last 4 on 1-12-14:

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Paul1792's Album: Paul1792's 29 gallon - Picture

I forgot that I had originally bought 2 on one day ...... then when I saw how well they all got along, I went back to PetSmart and got 2 more from the same batch. They are probably fairly young and measure about 2 inches or less.

I wish you luck, but it might not be peacful for long. Keep us updated on this becuase their is a lot of people that would appreciate the info.

Agreed... It becomes a whole different ball game once a fish begins to hit sexual maturity. You may see quite a lot of aggression once that happens.

I wish you luck, but it might not be peacful for long. Keep us updated on this becuase their is a lot of people that would appreciate the info.
I'll post back if any friction develops between the tank mates. If nothing happens in 30 days, I'll post back anyway to confirm.

The rule with gourami seems to be that you either keep one male with several females, or you keep either a sorority or bachelor group that's at least 5+ members. Having small numbers of one gender tends to lead to bickering, and without the larger group to diffuse the aggression then one fish will get singled out first until it dies, and then the next most submissive member next.

Again, largely dependent on fish age, personality, tank size, and decor, but that seems to be the general rule of what seems to be successful for most people.

Back
Top Bottom