Question on dwarf gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have two male dwarf gouramis that I got from petsmart (this has been one of my only good cases with the store unfortunately) but they're only an inch, very young and mildly aggressive. I was wondering, I were to buy two females, will they swim in pairs or become a sorority? I can get three females also, if it helps. thanks:)

I have two male dwarf gouramis that I got from petsmart (this has been one of my only good cases with the store unfortunately) but they're only an inch, very young and mildly aggressive. I was wondering, I were to buy two females, will they swim in pairs or become a sorority? I can get three females also, if it helps. thanks:)

Two females for every male gourami is the best way to go about it

I agree. I have 2 females and one male and there's barely any problems besides my guppy picking on all of the dg

thanks for the replies! Should I return my second male and get two females or just add three females? or two? sorry, I'm still a bit unsure:/

I agree. I have 2 females and one male and there's barely any problems besides my guppy picking on all of the dg

It's funny that my guppy never had bothered any of the twenty fish I had before and had never been picked on in my sight. I guess every fish has a different personality :p

It's funny that my guppy never had bothered any of the twenty fish I had before and had never been picked on in my sight. I guess every fish has a different personality :p

It's not unheard of... Guppies will try to breed with everything in sight, whether they want to or not ;)

As for the gourami, since you already have the two males, I'd wait and see how they do together. If they start to bother each other, take one back for a couple females.

haha, one of my friends has a crossbreed of a male guppy and female swordtail, too bad it's disfigured
:( thanks for the advice, I have noticed some fin nipping and the smaller male's whiskers are almost gone:/ whenever it's feeding time the bigger chases the smaller until he hides. It only started today and I watch them for hours sometimes. should I add the females(and/or take a male out) soon?

haha, one of my friends has a crossbreed of a male guppy and female swordtail, too bad it's disfigured
:( thanks for the advice, I have noticed some fin nipping and the smaller male's whiskers are almost gone:/ whenever it's feeding time the bigger chases the smaller until he hides. It only started today and I watch them for hours sometimes. should I add the females(and/or take a male out) soon?

Definitely take the male back. He's going to die from stress if you leave him in there much longer.

Thank you, I'll return him on Saturday, my LFS doesn't take in fish so I'll have to drive far:p can I buy a female after? I hear that a pair will swim together but I'm supposed to get two or three to prevent stress. how many?

Thank you, I'll return him on Saturday, my LFS doesn't take in fish so I'll have to drive far:p can I buy a female after? I hear that a pair will swim together but I'm supposed to get two or three to prevent stress. how many?

Getting two females after should be fine. Gourami don't pair off like other fish do, they pretty much go by the "hoard every female I can find!" strategy ;) Just be aware that female dwarf gourami are silver, not all bright like the males. If you don't like how they look there's nothing wrong with leaving the male on his own.

I'm not sure, maybe I'll leave the male as a centrepiece but I don't want him to be lonely:p Funny with the females, my close friend has a female and a male(fortunately the male doesn't bully her) and the female is even brighter than the male! And don't worry, we know it's a girl because it age birth a month ago and does every three months;)

....Are you sure its a dwarf gourami? They lay eggs in a bubble nest, not give birth o_O This how they should look:
Male_female_dwarf_gourami.jpg

Whoops, I meant lay eggs. I always get mixed up with these things:p. I have dwarves and so does she, they're definitely dwarf gouramis. For some reason her female is as bright as the male bit we are 100% sure it's a female. :)

Back
Top Bottom