Question on tank running w/ no fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CameronCade

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm about to set up a 29 gallon tank to temporarily house mbuna cichlids. But here's the catch. I moving soon in few weeks but I don't know when but I want go ahead and set up the temporally 29 tank and let it run. I have enough filters so that's not a problem. I have one coming in the mail. I have a established 55 gal tank and going to use the media from that tank. Here's my question Do I need to syphon the same water into the 29 and vacuum up the poop so it can feed my nitrates? And I might just answered my own questioned but how do I keep my nitrates from dying? Because idk when I moving but I know it's soon. So can I just throw in flakes to the ammonia so my nitrates won't die??

Dosing pure ammonia is cleaner and more accurate than using fish food, but you can do it either way. You can also throw in a raw shrimp or prawn and let it rot in there (although the smell will be pretty bad). I'd go with the pure ammonia if you can get it. Or, like someone suggested, maybe wait until you move.

Back
Top Bottom