Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelso

Aquarium Advice Freak
Gonna be goin to get some more coral in a few days. Just wonderin if you guys got any recommendations for easy coral. I already got a few mushrooms some button polyps star polyps and a tree coral. Is there cirtin types that work better together? I guess that is really my question, what will go good with what I got.

Well for types of corals there are:
Soft Corals (what you have, plus leathers, Xenia etc.)
LPS (Large Polyp Stonies, Trachyphyllia, Hammers, Duncans, Brains etc.)
SPS (Small Polyp Stonies, Acropora, Montipora etc.)

Easy corals that are very nice are leather corals, however, if you get a leather coral you can't keep LPS with them. Leathers secrete a substance toxic to LPS corals. Alternatively you could get some LPS. I have 3 Trachys (Lobed Brain Corals) in my tank ATM. They are fantastic. Easy to keep. Feed them every now and then at night (this is when they're feeding tentacles extend) and they're happy. At the moment you could get just about any coral.

What kind of lights of you have?

Sorry but from my experience I have a few few leathers in my tank and many LPS corals in there. Some over ten yrs old. I`ve had LPS and leathers together for them ten+ yrs. Leathers can get along with LPS with no problem at all. They only wage chemical warfare if encroached upon. I would suggest that you get a bubble coral providing your lighting is OK.

I got a T-9 48W and a 50-50 35W. Both on a 50 gal. The coral I have seems to be doing well.

If that is the lighting you have, the corals will not live long. Non-photosynthetics (sun coral, chili coral, etc.) might be your best option.

Back
Top Bottom