Questions about cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
At the moment I am only really watching the Ammonia (which is at .05 ppm according to the SeaChem alert hanger in the tank.

I have a few questions. I just upgraded to a 28 gallon tank (during a cycle) the other one I had just had to small of a foot print. I moved all the water, gravel, decorations, filter and 6 tetras. I added more decorations and some more gravel. Plus approximately 13 more gallons of water.

So for now I have read to not do water changes, to change 10-15% of the water every other day. To change only when the ammonia gets high and not to change because you won't establish bacteria. To use products to see bacteria. NOT to use products to seed bacteria. LOL

I am thinking that a lot of people just sort of get used to handling water issues a certain way and I am just seeing what works for everyone but for a beginner it is confusing.

My questions is when do I change the water? I wasn't going to because the ammonia was still low (I think) but I don't want to lose my tetras.

I am also planning on adding 2 more tetras, 4 corys and 8 black phantom tetras. I read after we cycle to add fish slowly. That is possible with the 2 more neons but when I go to add schooling fish do I just add them all and wait for the levels to stabilize before adding more?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Jana

jlbfish said:
At the moment I am only really watching the Ammonia (which is at .05 ppm according to the SeaChem alert hanger in the tank.

I have a few questions. I just upgraded to a 28 gallon tank (during a cycle) the other one I had just had to small of a foot print. I moved all the water, gravel, decorations, filter and 6 tetras. I added more decorations and some more gravel. Plus approximately 13 more gallons of water.

So for now I have read to not do water changes, to change 10-15% of the water every other day. To change only when the ammonia gets high and not to change because you won't establish bacteria. To use products to see bacteria. NOT to use products to seed bacteria. LOL

I am thinking that a lot of people just sort of get used to handling water issues a certain way and I am just seeing what works for everyone but for a beginner it is confusing.

My questions is when do I change the water? I wasn't going to because the ammonia was still low (I think) but I don't want to lose my tetras.

I am also planning on adding 2 more tetras, 4 corys and 8 black phantom tetras. I read after we cycle to add fish slowly. That is possible with the 2 more neons but when I go to add schooling fish do I just add them all and wait for the levels to stabilize before adding more?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Jana

First you need a API test kit. I wouldn't trust those hang ons. Then if ur ammonia gets to. 50 u need yo do a 50% wc. This may help some

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Hi and welcome!! Please read the above link & ask any questions you may have. You need to get yourself a proper test kit asap so you can accurately monitor your tank levels for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph. The API feshwater master test kit is the most recommended. As strips & 'meters' are not reliable or accurate, your ammonia levels very well may be reading higher than .50ppm. Anytime your levels of ammonia and/or nitrite hit .25ppm (or higher), you will need to do water changes to keep your fish healthy. This will not affect your cycle as long as you are using temperature-matched, properly conditioned water. Until your tank is fully cycled (0 amm, 0 nitrite), do not add anymore fish. Once its fully cycled, you will need to stock slowly & conservatively to allow your bacteria to adjust to the increased bioload. Daily testing & water changes may be necessary if you see spikes in amm/nitrite. Please dont hesitate to ask any questions! :)

Thanks so much! I read the site and did the test with API master. The monitor reads different (I bet you guys aren't surprised). LOL Anyway API master tests at .25 so I assume I need to do a water change (it had a huge water change last night when I added the extra 13 gallons. So do I do a 50% or more like 25%?

Also do you guys use any of the products they recommend for helping to seed the bacteria. I noticed API had some but wasn't sure if their quality of additives was as good as the tests.

Oh should I add the other 2 neons now or will they just school in fine after the cycle? I don't want to lose the ones I have so I am stressed about all of this.

Thanks again!
Jana

Good job! Im glad your ammonia is actually lower than what the meter said. What type/brand of water conditioner are you using? If your using a product such as Prime or Amquel Plus, you are probably ok for tonight but another smaller water change (25%) is probably a good idea if your using a product that doesnt help to detox ammonia.

The 'bacteria in a bottle' products are debatable- some people swear by them, for alot of others the only thing they have helped is empty their wallets... If you would like to speed your cycle up alot, i would recommend getting some seeded media from a friend or the lfs or you can purchase a seeded, 'active' filter from Angelsplus. Angelsplus filters have helped alot members cycle their tanks quickly. Sponge Filters for aquariums

In respect to your neons, I honestly dont have any experience with them & i am not sure what the correct number is needed for a proper school- hopefully, someone can correctly advise here! :)

I went ahead and did a 50'ish% percent water change and will test again tomorrow morning. Thanks for all the help!

The 6 tetras will be fine until the cycle is done. I think the minimum number of schooling fish is 6, so you're good until the cycle completes. Then you could add 2-4 more tetras (they do better in larger groups, you'll see their personalities more). Then check parameters every day for a couple of weeks and if ammonia and nitrite stay at 0 you can add the 4 corys, then check daily for a couple of weeks (I'd wait 2-3 weeks in betwween adding fish to give the bacteria time to adjust), then add 4 of the phantoms, wait and test, add the last 4. How long has the tank been cycling?

The tank had been cycling for about a week? but that was the 15 gallon tank. I moved all of that water/filter/decor/gravel into a 28 gallon tank (the 15 had too small of a foot print). Then added more decor/gravel/13 gallons and that was just on Wednesday.

So this tank has ben cycling for just a few days.

I tested the water this am and those were the readings:
pH was 7.6 so I did a high pH which read 8
Ammonia was .25 (do I do another water change? or wait? I did 50% yesterday)
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0

Thanks again for all the help!

Oh right I forgot to answer that one. It is just the Top Fin Water Conditioner. I got a big bottle of it. I have been reading about SeaChem

Thanks! I would def consider switching to product that can help detox ammonia, nitrite, & nitrate (Prime or Amquel Plus). You can always finish using the topfin product when your tank is done cycling & stable. If you were using one of these products, I wouldnt be very concerned about .25 of ammonia but this isnt the case right now. You also have a high ph- this isnt a problem for your fish but as the ph gets higher, ammonia becomes more toxic. So, I would do another water change for now until you can get yourself another conditioner. Keep up the good work! :)

Ok I will go with Prime and start adding that to the new water I am cycling out. I will do a 25% water change later this morning. Then is it too soon to test again tonight?

Thanks!

Your fine to test again again tonight- my last fish in cycle I tested twice a day (am & pm) & did water changes accordingly. Keep up the good work! :)

Back
Top Bottom