Questions before I buy a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sailormoon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I am wanting to buy a fish tank. I had a 2.5 gallon betta tank with no fish in it as I was just setting it up. But the water temperature was swinging big time. My room is roughly 6x10. I have no air conditioner at al in the house as it is an old house. We do use portable air conditioner in the summer but my room is like a furnace though during the day all year long and at night in the summer. I do use a fan year round to help cool down my room. Is there a tank that would work in my room. I reallly want to have fish super bad. I know that at one point that betta tank water temperature got to 98 degrees and 59 degrees at the lowest. Any advice I welcome
Thank you

A larger tank shouldn't fluctuate as much as a smaller one, but 98 degrees is still pretty high. Is there a corner with minimal sunlight that you can monitor for temperature?

Yes there is a corner I can do that. Thank you very much. What size tank would you recommend

I'm not an expert by any means but I've always had 20 gallon tanks in my bedrooms and never had an issue with massive temperature swings. I'd really recommend trying to stabilize the room temperature first, though. Simple things like thick curtains could make a big difference. It's a lot easier to raise water temperature than it is to lower it.

Wouldn't recommend any smaller than a 5 gallon, even for a betta. They like to stretch their fins, and water quality is easier to maintain, along with temperature. I've had a betta by himself in a 10g before and he loved it. Just got my 5.5g set back up for one whose fins got mangled somehow, poor guy.

Back
Top Bottom