Questions on disentigrating plant leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsBigE

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm very new to the planted aquarium and still fairly new to aquaria in general and have some things I'm having problems with.

I had CaribSea sand in my 55 gal tank and replaced it with EcoComplete topped with CaribSea Snowy River pebbles. I've ordered all but 1 plant online and I don't know if the issues I'm having are from the plants moving from Florida climate to Ohio sub-zero conditions or if they're from poor water conditions.

A few weeks ago I planted some Madagascar lace which lost its leaves and is now sprouting beautiful new ones. I had 1 Aponogeton that lost all its leaves but now has very long beautiful leaves but they still seem very thin and fragile but it's getting to flower. This past weekend I've added more Madagascar lace, Aponogeton Ulva., Banana Plants, Creeping Charlie, Brazilian pennywort, Two types of Java fern, Anubis, contortionist valisneria and corkscrew valisneria.
Two days after planting all of the leaves from the the new Aponogetons are all tearing and dissolving, the leaves on the valisneria are all gone, now just left with the roots and very short tops, the creeping Charlie, pennywort,Java fern, banana plants and Anubis are all growing really great. After two days I see a lot of growth on these already.

I just can't figure out what causes the dissolving leaves, whether they'll grow back and how to correct any problem that might be in my water.

After testing my water parameters are: ph 7.6, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0, GH 8 drops, KH 4 drops (sorry I still don't know how to read the gh/kh thing). I'm filters with 2-penguin 350's watch having 3 filters and purigen. I also have a Fluval 206 running with poly, matrix and purigen. Temp is. 77 degrees, glass top with a Beamswork hi lumen 120, 6500x96,

If you have any ideas what could be causing my prob and how I can correct I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks!!
Peg
MrsBigE

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm hoping it is just a matter of adjusting to the new tank. I did watch a few YouTube videos which indicated that plants will go through a "meltdown" after being moved to a new tank. I've dosed with Flourish and see a lot of new growth on almost all plants but the Valisneria hasn't grown any new sprouts. They do have what appears to be viable roots so I'm hoping they come back.
I don't have CO2 and probably won't be able to afford it for awhile so I'm going to try the CO2 booster. I seem to have a lot of oxygen in the tank because the two penguin 350s push bubbles down into the tank and I have little air bubbles on plants all through the tank. Hoping it's enough for now. This hobby is costly and if I can refrain from putting out several hundred bucks for CO2 I'd like to.
Thanks for replying!

Last edited:
If you are dosing Flourish Comprehensive, you can add in API LeafZone for both macros and micros.

Root Tabs may help as well.

What lighting are you using ?
What photoperiod ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a BeamsWork hi-lumens 120 LED. 6500x96, lumens 400 .5x96, av 100-240v
Now I don't have a clue what any of that means but before I ordered I had read that the light that had 10,000 instead of 6500 was too much. I don't know what all that info about the light means or how many watts per gal it boils down to but I can tell you that some of my plants like it, especially the Aponogetons with the curly keavd because they're flowering. you can decipher All the light info I'd be thankful.
I didn't know what flourish to get so I got basic Flourish and have root tabs and CO2 booster on the way.
I'm sorry I can't answer about the photoperiod. I don't know what that means.

Photoperiod is the daily amount of time the lights are on. You should get a timer for your lights if you don't already have one. Keep it under 6 hours to avoid algae- at least until you start using the co2 booster.

I have the 30" version of that light.

96 is the number of LEDs, and each LED bead is 0.5 watts

6500K is the color temp: lesser values are warmer (more red), greater values are cooler (more blue). This number has nothing to do with intensity or brightness. 6500K is considered "daylight", basically not warm or cool, just white, which is a good overall color temp for plants.

Lumens should be 4400, which gives you an idea of how bright it is, but it isn't a very useful measurement. PAR at a given depth is the measurement that is far more useful, but so far I haven't found PAR ratings for these fixtures. In any case, they seem to be solidly in the medium to low-medium light range, depending on the height of the tank. My tank has only been running a few weeks, and the growth rate I'm getting so far is pretty impressive- better than I expected anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom