Quick cory question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zimmanski

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here's the deal, in my ten gallon I had 4 false julii corys (don't get started on shoal size please) then when I upgraded to a 20 long I got 3 more to up their group a little and with more space I thought why not. Long story short the petco guy didn't have a clue (why am I surprised) and stressed them out so much trying to catch them one didn't even make it out of the bag after a 10 minute drive. I have just the corys, about 6 RCS and a bunch of swordtail fry in the tank, all parameters are good but I've seen one single Cory swimming in the middle and top of the tank, only sometimes with the group. And its not like active swimming, just small tail movement, almost just floating. Should I be worried? Is it just stressed out from everything?

Concerned, probably but ultimately there isn't much you can do about the poor guy.

Other than the middle swimming, which is unusual for cories in my experience, it does sound a lot like the effects of stress.

Conversely I've found that whenever I've noted a Cory acting strange they normally don't survive :(

That's sad, wish I could have done something or known exactly what was wrong but just like I thought would happen, when I got home from work this morning it didn't make it. I'm blaming it on stress because everyone else is doing so well. Dang it

What does it take to make Cory Cats happy?
They're such cut little fellas, but I can't keep them alive.
I haven't tried again for a long time now.

the best advice I can give is to ALWAYS check how the person at the store catches them. Well for any fish really, buy especially cory's. If I notice that they're taking too long or swinging the net too much and stressing the fish, I will probably just walk away and go somewhere else or come back when someone else is working. Secondly, once they put them in the bag for you, check their fins. I had 3 spotted cory's and one had a missing back fin, not too worried I brought it home and the next day it had developed an internal bruise from losing the fin while being caught. Sadly, it didn't make it.

there's been plenty of times when they hand me the fish in the bag and I've turned it down simply because I knew they were beyond stressed and dealing with a new tank and tank mates would make it worse for them.

Cory's are sensitive to water parameters, moving tanks, just about anything that could possible curse stress, but if you bring back the dead fish and receipt they will give yo another or credit you if you want to wait to get more, I lost 2 out of the 5 I bought in the fist day because of stress, one immediately did what yours did and only swam around the surface so knew he wasn't going to make it, I'm sorry for your lose, my only question is can you put different Cory's together, will they school together?

I've had such bad luck with them too, this is my second batch, the first 3 I added to this tank did great, when I transferred them to the 20 they did great also (I know how to catch fish) but at least I've upped the shoal now which is good enough. I do know you can return the fish, freaking sad thing is that the gas to return it usually costs more than the fish!! I think pet stores should cover transportation costs too! Haha

I agree! I live 30 min away and it's not like I want to drive that far for the possibility of another Cory that might pass from stress so I just chalk it up and wait till the next time I'm in town.

Back
Top Bottom