Quick Substrate Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaunakadub

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone,

When I purchased my aquarium I used fairly large gravel for the substrate, and I am finding that the stones are so big that food falls through to the bottom of the tank, and the cory's can't reach it.

What I've been thinking of is adding some kind of smaller gravel over the top of the larger gravel to fill in the spaces.

Would I have any problems doing this?? And if it can be done safely, which gravel should I purchase?

You can do this. You have to choose the size you want. Just realize that if you go very small it will also fill-in between the current gravel. As you vacuum, the gravels will mix, no doubt about that, you just can't avoid it, so make sure what you get will look good to you mixed. And once mixed it should create a substrate that isn't so elusive to your cory's feedings. Since I can't see your current gravel, I can't suggest anything but what looks good to you. Good luck.

remember about larger will always be on top and smaller will fall in and around the cracks. think about pool sand 20lb for about 5bucks or dark black tahaitian sand or moon sand.

It may be more work right now, but I would take out the big gravel and replace it with smaller gravel or sand. You can always drop in a few of the bigger rocks for accents if you really like the look of them.

I'd have to agree with Meredith here. Changing the substrate entirely would be better. As noted already the sand will also fall through the larger gravel. Pool filter sand is cheap and looks completely natural.

Also, if your tank is currently cycled, you may not want to change it all out at once. If you decide to change it all out with smaller, I'd recommend doing half the tank, remove the larger gravel and putting in the new. Then wait 2 weeks, and do the other half. This way you will give the new gravel a better chance of building bacteria colonies that will spread from the old gravel. That way you are at least trying to eliminate the possibility of a small cycle occurring.

Back
Top Bottom