quick thread of what kind of fish can stay in a community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charliemarfe89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. new to the hobby was just wondering what where some different types of fish I can keep together? brought my water to the pet store they said I was good to go, but it was a tough week money wise so could only get about 6 bloodfin tetras. its a 25 gal tank.

Hi. Welcome to the wonderful world of freshwater tanks. I am new to this too.

I currently have 6 Glofish and a Flying Fox that play well together. Will be adding tetras soon. Just make sure to research you fish ahead of time. If you buy one or two fish that need to be in a group to school, your going to have bullies in your tank.

I would say go for a 3-5 smaller cory cats, like the panda and maybe once your tank has a chance to mature with those 2 species start looking into peaceful dwarf centerpiece fish or a small school of mid sized schoolers... That's just me though

Some fish are territorial by nature, so the amount of space they have relative to the other fish is the biggest factor causing so-called "incompatibility."

Good rule of thumb, taught to me pretty early- add smallest and most peaceful first, usually a mid level schooler. Next, once the tank has a chance to mature, add your peaceful bottom dwellers (for a 25g with a school of bloodfin tetra I would look at smaller cory cat species- though hasbros and pygmy are not really bottom dwellers And not so well suited for beginning aquarists). Give the tank a chance to adjust to that addition and monitor parameters. Then comes filling in with peaceful schools and/or planning for the addition of a feature fish/pair.

To me a 25g with bloodfin tetra screams give me lots of plants, 5 panda cory and maybe a trio of dwarf hatchets.

I have Bloodfin Tetras with GBRs and Kuhli's Loaches. They all require higher than normal temperatures from 75° to 82° (give or take on the numbers).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom