Raising my PH for Chiclids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok thanks for the info. I am going to try and order some Syndontis catfishes from the LFS so I will add the coral after I get them in. Looks like I should start a new thread if I have any more questions hah 6pages.

I think this is a candidate for Monster Island, once you are satisfied with how you are going to raise your pH.

It is a forum at the bottom of the FW section (there is also one for SW and for Ponds) where threads that provide a lot of valuable information go once they wind down.

This is one of those topics that comes up from time to time, and a lot of people want to raise their pH, currently do it and like the results, or are confused about how and why it is done, so they can refer to this thread and learn about it.

Most of your bacteria live in the gravel and filter. If you want to save some of your seasoned water, siphon it into clean sparkletts bottles or you can get 5 gal plastic buckets at Home Depot. Rinse them well and use them only for fishy stuff. I use the sparklett bottles to treat water and the buckets to siphon into for tank cleaning.
Baking soda will raise your ph, but will also raise the hardness. I am not sure how much, but you can take a measured gallon of your tap water to check ph and hardness. Add a teaspoon of baking soda and test agin. Add another spoonfull and check . You should be able to work out how much per gallon you need. Treat any water you add to the tank. :lol:

I just vac the gravel twice a month, but I am sure some one has told you by now that the ugf will build up poison areas around the outside of it in between the it and the tank. The emperor 280's should be able to keep the tank clean, but if you plan to get cichlids, some varietys are very messy and you may want a more filtration. I had a fluval 403 and a hot magnum on my 55g, it had two 8" oscars in it until I got my 100g.

I'm setting up a large tank in the next few days and as I live in a vulcanic island I want to use local rocks. So I have basaltic rocks and extremely pourous rocks which are the result of vulcanic ashes. I tested them with vinager and nothing happened.

I also found a white rock which looked liked limestone in the older part of the island. I tested it with vinager too and it reacted a bit violently.

Near the coast I collected a reddish gravel. I think it's crushed rock from old vulcanic ash. It's very pourous and light and I suppose it will be a bacteryan heaven.

A couple of questions:

- Does anyone know how basalts and other vulcanic rocks affect PH?
- And about my supposed local limestone, will it be effective in raising the PH safely?

I'm still nervous about putting a community of around 50 fish at the same time in a new tank :(

Basalt and volcanic rock should be inert in your tank in terms of pH. Your local limestone should very gently and effectively raise the pH and KH of your tank, based upon the vinegar test, which is an extremely weak acid. This will also depend upon the size of the tank and the makeup of the water you will be using for water changes, as well as fish load and PWC schedule.

You may want to start a new thread if this answer proves inadequate. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom