Rays

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

datto

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
what do you think about keeping a stingray in a reef tank??? safe??
i was looking into getting a (Taeniura lymna) blue spotted ray..
whats your opinion?

unless it is in an extremely large tank with a nothing but deep sand...they would not be happy. This is one fish IMO that is best left in the ocean.

More info than you would care to know about blue spotted ray

Reported size is just under a foot in width and just under 2 foot long. Should be provided with ample open sandy bottom to burry themselves in for cover as well as large open areas of water to swim. Note the natural depth at which they can be found. This would imply a cool/tropical water preference vs a tropical only water preference thus making the desired water temperature toward the low range for other reef inhabitants.

Definatly impossible to have one in a reef because of the amount of room needed for the ray to move around, but if you want one i would get a super wide tank that isnt too deep just wide and long. If you want to learn more or want to talk to many people who have or own rays. I suggest that you go to GrimReefers.com. They have full section devoted to rays.

I hope i helped.

Back
Top Bottom