Re-aquascaping my Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micaiah12

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all! It's been awhile since I've been on, but needless to say. My aquarium had been doing GREAT! It's been over 2 years since I got it and it is thriving! So I want to re-aquascape it. I have a 8" piece of drift wood that I would like to keep. Everything else can go! So let me have some suggestions and I will start planning :)

Specs:
46 gallon tank
Taller > length
I would like sand not gravel.
I know how to clean and plant everything.

Can you post a pic of it now? Is it planted at all or just fake plants? What kind of fish do you have. You could start with finding out what he fish prefer.

Sounds interesting. I will follow along.

As you can see it's quite ugly :p

mostly barbs in stock
some upside-down catfish
and a RT Shark
Also some black kuli loaches.

Attachments

• IMG_0244.JPG.jpg
    IMG_0244.JPG.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0245.JPG.jpg
    IMG_0245.JPG.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0243.JPG.jpg
    IMG_0243.JPG.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 111
I don't think it's ugly. I'm partial to black sand or Eco-complete as a substrate and a black/ dark background myself but that may not be you preference.

You might consider trimming the plants to be more even and put in larger or different wood that has more "balance" considering your plants are do lush.

Like my planted tank- it appears to be due for brighter lighting. My has darkened so gradually I just realized how dim it's gotten.

What exactly are you wanting to do? Do you want to go with more medium to high light with a larger variety of plants to choose from? If you go with higher light you need to think about using CO2 or liquid carbon and dry ferts dosing either El or PPS-Pro so plants get all the macro and micro nutrients they need. Do you have a budget in mind? I have Eco Complete in all my tanks as either the sole substrate or as a cap to my dirted tanks.

OK sorry I has taken time for me to get back, computer problems :/

Alright, so I want to keep it around $400 I can add $100 if I have too.
I would like co2 IF you can give me any ideas other than DYI. I tried DYI and it doesn't work being that It gets rather cold in my house, not hot enough for the yeast to be active enough.

So co2 yes! and I would really like to try some black sand.
I would like to grow grass, something I know needs high lighting.
also I would like to grow some other unique plants that require some high lighting.

I will also check out Eco-complete substrate.

I don't know what lighting you have but on that tank you could do a 2 bulb T5HO fixture (I use an Aquatic Life 2 bulb T5HO fixture on one of my 55's) or a Build My Led freshwater fixture with dimmer. The Led is more expensive up front but you have to factor in the cost of replacement bulbs every 9-12 months on a T5HO fixture. The T5HO would give you a pretty solid medium light and the BML fixture would give you a med to medium high light.

For CO2 I use this.... New Premium Aquatek CO2 Regulator with Integrated Cool Touch Solenoid | eBay.

Then this for my bubble counter... New Aquatek Bubble Counter with Integrated Check Valve R 131 | eBay.

Then all you'd need to decide is how you want to diffuse your CO2. On the 55g tank I use an inline diffuser on the outflow tubing on my Fluval 406 canister. One my 220g tank I use powerheads to diffuse the CO2. You have options.

And you would need to buy a CO2 cylinder.

Back
Top Bottom