Re-Doing 20 Long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've come to realize that my current 20 long set up just isn't doing it anymore. It has become my let's-throw-this-random-plant-in-it-tank-because-I-have-no-where-else-to-put-it tank, and I'm not sure how much more I can stand it. So, I getting rid of the 30+ Endlers Livebearers and going to completely re-do it.:dance:

Originally, (before I did a bit more research) I was thinking tiger barbs because I've always loved them but have always had angelfish in my larger tanks. But I don't want to squish them in there because that is their minimum size tank. I was also thinking about cardinal tetras, but I plan on having them in my 110g tank and really would rather not have a repeat.:confused:

Now, I'm stuck. I want the fish to be spacious in this tank and I plan on spending a lot of time on plants in here.

So now I come to you all. Any suggestions on some fish for the tank?

Here are some of my thoughts on the stock:D:
I want to plant it, so no plant killers allowed
I have 6 Kuhlii loaches that I'm keeping in it
I want peaceful, community fish (but no more livebearers--please!)
I'm leaning towards a pair of larger fish or one somewhat larger school of smaller fish

I was thinking a pair of apistos or a school of lemon tetras or ember tetras or CPDs or I don't know.:confused:

Any opinions would be appreciated!!! :thanks:

Go small. A school of embers or CPDs will make the tank look huge (plus they will have plenty of room). I like the footprint of this tank. Provide lots of hiding spaces and plant cover for the loaches. I am thinking about breaking my fish purchase strike (don't ask) and getting those myself.

Go small. A school of embers or CPDs will make the tank look huge (plus they will have plenty of room). I like the footprint of this tank. Provide lots of hiding spaces and plant cover for the loaches. I am thinking about breaking my fish purchase strike (don't ask) and getting those myself.

Don't worry I do the same thing (fish purchase strikes), especially when funds start to get low!

I know for a fact that they have CPDs at the LFS and they occasionally have embers. Ugh, decisions! I'll have to go visit them later today or tomorrow. I do like the idea of making the tank look huge. I've always been one to nearly overstock my tank. So this'll hopefully be the first time!

And I know! I've always wanted to get a 20 long and I finally got around to just sucking it up and buying one for cheap. The only issue I've been having is finding lighting. I'm to the point of just getting some clamps and CFLs because I don't want a high tech tank and all the decent fixtures that aren't outrageous would get me there.

A pair of German blue rams would like nice. They love planted tanks.here is a pic of one of mine. They barely get larger than 2in, 3in at the most http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums...D-4B08-46F3-A5E3-AAB511957D4F_zpsevtwi5zs.jpg

They are beautiful, and I did think of them for the tank. But the issue comes that I will be leaving the tank to my mother's care for a while and I'm not sure how apt she is to doing PWCs.

Do you think that they would fair well? I'm probably going to up my filter to the Plenn Pax Cascade 150 because I'd like to adjust the flow. But I'm still not sure about such a sensitive fish--or at least that's what I've read about them.

And I know! I've always wanted to get a 20 long and I finally got around to just sucking it up and buying one for cheap. The only issue I've been having is finding lighting. I'm to the point of just getting some clamps and CFLs because I don't want a high tech tank and all the decent fixtures that aren't outrageous would get me there.

The clamps + CFLs should work. I bought a pair of 5.5" clamps and 13w 6500k CFLs for about $25 for a small grow out tank I was running. I have two 20g long tanks: I have a Finnex FugeRay on my planted tank (with CO2) and a $35 30" Coralife Dual T5 NO on my low light low tech shrimp tank.

They are beautiful, and I did think of them for the tank. But the issue comes that I will be leaving the tank to my mother's care for a while and I'm not sure how apt she is to doing PWCs.

Do you think that they would fair well? I'm probably going to up my filter to the Plenn Pax Cascade 150 because I'd like to adjust the flow. But I'm still not sure about such a sensitive fish--or at least that's what I've read about them.

I've never had any trouble with mine being sensitive but every week I do water changes about 30%. Bolivians are a lot hardier but they are not as colorful. I have Gold,blue, and Bolivian rams.

Pentazona barbs are really great alternatives to tiger barbs. They look very similar, stay a tad bit smaller, are quite peaceful and do well in community tanks, and are pretty hardy.

With that said I'd totally do what Fresh said: nano tank!

Pentazona barbs are beautiful! I went to the LFS not too long ago and I think that I saw them there! They would be a great alternative to the tiger barbs:)

Pentazona barbs are beautiful! I went to the LFS not too long ago and I think that I saw them there! They would be a great alternative to the tiger barbs:)

They're great fish, I just wouldn't recommend sharing them in a community with any overly timid fish. A pair of apisto cacatuoides or apisto borellii (both relatively hardy) would be fantastic in a 20L with lots of plants. If you went that route I'd recommend beckford pencilfish as tankmates -- a very underrated and pretty schooler once they color up. Try checking outing some videos of them on YouTube.

I have decided to do the CPDs for the tank. I used to have some in a 5.5g and I loved them... then the heater broke and boiled them all (not a fun sight nor smell to come home to).

I'll make a build thread soon.

How many do you think would work? 15-20?

A 20L could handle 20-30 without many problems.

Wow. A lot more than I was expecting. It'll take me a while to get that many as I only planning on adding 3-4 a week. This'll be an amazing sight when it's done:)

Yup they're amazing in larger schools. Any other nano fish catch your eye? Pseudomugil gertrudae or clown killifish would be nice top dwellers if you went with 15-20 CPDs.

Back
Top Bottom