Recommendation(s) needed on GBR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chykityta

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like to give some background.

I started with a 10 gallon and Bloodfin Tetras. Later, a GBR about 5 months ago; male with a female at the same time, who died at 3 weeks of having her. I attempted to get him another female 3 months ago, and turned out to be a male as well. The first male was the Alpha. I got a female since I started seeing some squabbling from the first male on the second male. That second female also died at the two week mark. BUT, by then, my second male started to show more size than the first; until one day I got home to my plants being uprooted, my first GBR severely stressed and even injured on his pectoral fin, and nipping at my Bloodfin Tetras. So, I took the now aggressive GBR into his own 10 gallon tank.

He was severely stressed from being alone on the 10 gallon so got him a female. It has been 2.5 weeks since my now aggressive GBR is with a female. The tank has a lot more swimming away places for the female to get away. So far, she has survived all this time. But, I don't know how much longer she will resist his bullying. She seems to still be happy when she sees me but I see how tough he is on her. I would therefore want suggestions. Is there fish I can get to counteract his newly attained aggression?

Obviously, me asking for semi-aggressive fish at the large chain store, I was told to get tiger barbs; but with my gained experience, I have a feeling I would make the tank too intense with aggression from two somewhat aggressive fish in a 10 gallon (one requiring the need to school). So, besides my thought of getting aggressive fish to counteract a bully in the 10 gallon, what else is recommended/suggested with the two GBRs?

His aggression is not going to change and IMO a 10g is too small for GBR unless you are just breeding them.

Caleb

Nothing, if they spawn the other fish will harass the eggs which I turn stresses gbr. Why not put new female with other ram and get a new new fem for crabby pants ??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

His aggression is not going to change and IMO a 10g is too small for GBR unless you are just breeding them.

Caleb
+1^
She will not last long if she has to hide all time.
What about putting her in the first 10 with the other male?
Then you could look to rehome or trade the bully.
I'm not sure bloodfins and a pair really are a good long term stocking for a 10g.:popcorn:

The bloodfins are on the 20 gallon high with the calm yet still Alpha GBR with a new female. They are doing great together. The female follows him around. She has been on the tank for a week.

Regarding the 10 gallon with JUST the bully ram and female, they are fine most day until his bully side awakens. The bully is still nice and don't like the idea of giving him away; I wouldn't know how to anyways. That is why I thought there was a chance to lower that aggression some other way.

Something I may have noticed is that he bully's whenever there is too much light or I am around. Maybe he wants all the attention?

Take him out for a little while, rearrange the tank. Put em back.. see if that helps? ?

I don't think I can do that anymore. I now have two GBR pairs. From what I have heard, a 20 high is not suitable even though I do have the stocking capacity.

4 GBRs + 7 Bloodfin Tetras + 10 Ghost Shrimp = 90% stocking capacity for the 20 gallon high with the following Warning: Your selected species may eventually require 146% of your aquarium space. You may need to deal with territorial aggressions later on. Try removing some of (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, Palaemonetes sp.) or get a larger tank.

If your idea is backed up by others, I can do this next Thursday when I can monitor through the weekend. I could even purchase a few more Bloodfins to add more "distraction"(?).

4 GBRs + 7 Bloodfin Tetras + 10 Ghost Shrimp = 90% stocking capacity for the 20 gallon high with the following Warning: Your selected species may eventually require 146% of your aquarium space. You may need to deal with territorial aggressions later on. Try removing some of (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, Palaemonetes sp.) or get a larger tank.

If your idea is backed up by others, I can do this next Thursday when I can monitor through the weekend. I could even purchase a few more Bloodfins to add more "distraction"(?).

That's not a very good tank right there.. they'd 100% squabble with each other.

I have experience with Rams in a 20H. I bought 4 small ones as a temporary thing, hoping for them to pair off and then give the two that didn't pair to a friend. It took all of three days for a pair to form and outright kill one and exile the other of the remaining two while I was out of the house. So with all that said, a 20H is definitely only enough for one pair of rams.

Temporary solution: Put the bully and/or the bullied into a breeder net inside the tank. That's what I did with the surviving male after the incident with my rams. You'd have to find someone to take that fish eventually though

Long term solution: Rearrange the tank and add a whole bunch more hiding places. I mean cram the tank. That may or may not work. Maybe put the bully in the breeder net for a while and let the female get comfortable in the rearranged tank.

Long term solution: Rearrange the tank and add a whole bunch more hiding places. I mean cram the tank. That may or may not work. Maybe put the bully in the breeder net for a while and let the female get comfortable in the rearranged tank.

Is this long term solution for the 10 gallon with the bully and its female?

Back
Top Bottom