Red-fin Shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am wanting to get another red-fin shark I had one a while back and loved him. he went back to the LFS when I got my bichir (who later succumbed to bacterial infection from some infected guppies)

Anyways I have a 29 gallon tank with
5 angels. 1 medium, 4 small
4 cories
2 african butterflys (not woried about problems with these, they never leave the surface)
1 large striped raphael
1 small (2 inch) spotted raphael.
1 otto, 3 inches

The raphs are only active very late at night.
The cories are, well non stop vacuums
The angels wonder all over the tank, and school alot
The otto is well...and otto always attatched to someting in the tank

Can I safely put in a red-fin shark/rainbow shark, or will he give either the cories or the angels to hard of a time?

I will be upgrading to a 75 gallon within a few months.

So far I have had no problems, but he's only a baby (I've had him three months). Every once in a while I see him chase a barb. I bought three sharks and he killed the other two off and now seems fairly calm most of the time and goes around eating up algae and food off the plants.

I can see your worry with the angels. In my opinion, I would worry more about the angels attacking the shark. Maybe someone else will have more experience with the angels.

that seems too small of a tank for the shark, especially with the angels..is it a red tailed black shark? or just a red finned shark? if its the red finned, then i cant help ya, never had one. if its the red tailed black... i had one in a 40 breeder with some tiger barbs, and he pretty much took over the tank in like, 2 months, and he was only about 3 inches maybe

red-fin from what I understand they are sliughtly less agressive to other species, but just as aggresive to their own. It will be in the 29 only for a bit I dont imagine he would even make it to 3 inches before I upgrade to the 75 gallon.

ok, in the 75 i'd imagine they'd alll have plenty of room, and now i think of it i think i have heard of the red fin, which are less aggressive than redtail.
how long till the 75? just curious

i would say go for one..i used to have one and it was awsome swimming around the lower reaches of the tank...he was in a 29 gallon as well but why not wait tillu get the 75?

I would like to make the move with all the fish together. I dont know yet that I plan on adding anything else in the 75...I might. but dont know yet. And they look so cool, just lurking in and out of plants and around rocks and decorations. they do look almost sharkish at times. I lvoe the way mine moved he always stayed int eh shadows so you never got a good sight of him and his color. I have NEVER to date seen a pic of one so beautiful and impressive he was 4 inches when I brough him back he had a nice deep gut, bright red fins and a very dark, almost black colored body. My gf about killed me when I brought him back

I dunno, I'd still worry about the angels. But I've never kept a red tail OR red fin shark, so take it FWIW.

Back
Top Bottom