red gruppy pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bashfoto

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey All,
i think my red guppy is pregnant? i have only had her for 2 months now but suddenly she looks round and hides a lot around the filter. the male I believe a blue neon guppy is always with her.

I have setup a small tank and decided to move her but am still not sure if she is pregnant. should I move the male guppy too?

thanks

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1406833358742.jpg
    1406833358742.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 1406833402606.jpg
    1406833402606.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 76
blue neon guppy

Attachments

• 1406833572556.jpg
    1406833572556.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 74
Those both look like males to me :-/

If that red one were in fact a female and ready to drop a clutch she would have a BIG black spot under her belly, and moving her to her own space or a breeder box would be advisable.

I'm not sure if you knew this but keeping one male and one female can be troublesome because the male will torment the female, often to death. Now, I don't think that is your problem here.

I think the reason the red one is hiding is because the blue one is tormenting him. I've had two male guppies together in my 30g community tank and they pretty much follow each other and drive each other nuts. My advice is to get at least four females best is six females for those two males to chase so they are distracted from each other. But that all depends on how big your tank is. If females are not an option, I would just keep an eye on them, it's perfectly okay to keep two males together. You could add more plants or decorations to give him some space to hide.

Sent from my iPhone

Hi Emily

does that mean men can be pregnant too ? I mean ive seen cases where human men can be haha..... well if you think its a male then possible your right as I have no idea I searched couple places but based on the fish colors and type websites seems to say female and I went with it.

I did read up about the black spot and have seen some videos on youtube and did notice mine did not have that at all so decide to ask the experts here.

I have room to get some females to keep these guys from killing each other. maybe this weekend ill see if my LFS has any.

my tank pretty basic and not many places to hide but im getting some rock with opening so they can go in and out if need be.

thank you for your help.

I've also heard stories of men getting pregnant ;)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure those are both males because in the first pic that little pointy fin underneath the belly is a male...ugh.... Part. I confess I don't know the technical term for that particular fin on a guppy. I do know that females don't have it.

Yay for having room for females!! Those boys will be so excited! Be ready for baby mania. But the adults will probably eat the fry so no big deal.

Sent from my iPhone

pregnant guppy

here is a photo of a pregnant female. i agree with emily yours both look like males.. not the larger fins and the gondofin (however you spell it) both have that. i think you have a large guppy. keep close watch and be sure the belly doesnt blow up like a balloon. if you dont see a black spot toward the back of her belly then you have a pregnant male... best of luck..

Attachments

• mama to be.jpg
    mama to be.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 7-27 pregnant.jpg
    7-27 pregnant.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 68
emily your right. was out the whole day yesterday to come back and see he died :( . thanks amyb for the info indeed both are correct. poor thing was sick and I never got it. it was eating so maybe it over ate ? generally am giving food once a day to not over feed them.

RIP

didnt come to the surface. poor guy wont see the females when I get them.

My LFS didnt have any said maybe next week.

this site helps with male or female guppy identification.

http://guppiesonli.wordpress.com/faq/how-to-tell-male-female-guppy-apart/

Attachments

• 1406996021844.jpg
    1406996021844.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 57
fixed pic

Attachments

• 1406996319822.jpg
    1406996319822.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 55
second fish to die this week. first died I believe of bulling or maybe sharp decorative tree.somehow lost one side of its fin and just went in circles not much I could do..it doed with in 20 min of my discovery.

I have checked water levels and all seems good no spikes of anything.

I'm no expert, new to the fishy world to but they look really swollen compered to my guppies are you shaw there not Ill and that's why some have died ? Hope am wrong ::

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tried to get done picks of my guppies there all quiet flat ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406997213.999996.jpg

your right my other guppy looks like yours its really thin and so was the red one but within probably a week it become enormous at first I thought it was pregnant then thanks to emily I learnt males cant be pregnant but unfortunately too late for the guy he passed while I was out.

blue neon

Attachments

• 1406998759414.jpg
    1406998759414.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 60
Do the scales of the bloated ones look kinda messy ?

no dont think it was.
seemed normal except the guppy looked like a baloon no white bit no red areas . it died on the buttom of the tank with its mouth open.

Have you googled the symptoms? I did a quick search and something called dropsy kept Coming up , might be worth reading up about it

thanks. I just had a look at dropsy symptoms. its possible he was stressed out as I do have a barb in my cummunity tank that sometimes seems to be playing around with the guppy. the barb does chase with silver dollar also, been suspecting it may be the cause. the other blue guppy was also constantly with the red and since now ive learnt they are both male it is more than likely it got all stressed out.

checked water conditions again and its Annomia 0 and nitrite 0 ph 7.6 nitrate 0.50 . im no expert but cant see anything obvious except for the barb.

The barb , silver dollar , guppy in the cummunity tank

Attachments

• 1407004069983.jpg
    1407004069983.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 52
hi there... as i mentioned about watching his belly (dropsy) at first can easily be mistaken for pregnant guppy.. I am by far expert but have ALOT of experience with dying guppies. I have lost several (at least a dozen in a couple month time frame). It got to the point where i could look at them and know they were going to die. although baffled as to what was causing the problem as i have a variety of Tetras and none of them had issues... well after a couple of posts, mad amounts of reading, someone here had the same problem and asked if i had a Chinese Algae eater. Well when i woke up the next morning i googled CAE images, low and behold i had one.. Now keep in mind this was going on for well over a month. I checked water, did huge water changes, got rid of an angel fish, moved 2 fish into another tank. Well dont you know when i got rid of the CAE i had no more mystery guppy deaths. I have had a couple, both by their tail fin getting stuck in the filter and chewing it up, poor fellows.. So i am not sure what to do about that. I do have another tank but it needs to be set up and all, i will move the guppies into that so i will have a guppy and endler tank and the tank for the tetras, then my African Albino Frog and goldfish in the last tank... Now i need to figure out how to filter and not have the guppies tail fins get caught in there.....
By the way, i think the mama to be lost her fry last night. the boys just wouldnt leave her alone.. my fingers are crossed that i am wrong.. should find out very soon, shes been pregnant for a while now..
so note: when buying sucker fish, ground feeders whatever you call them , DO NOT get a Chinese Algae Eater!!!! my lfs has several in with their guppies and i told them wht i learned but they have yet to move them, every time i go there i see at least 5 dead guppies. :( its a shame

Amy
fingers crossed for you hopefully everything alright.

thanks for info I dont have CAE in my tank and actually never seen one at my LFS yet.

thats pretty bad luck for the guppies getting stuck in the filters..outch..

everything seems fine in the tank I will move the tigar barb I have as I think its just nipping away at every other fishs fin but only got a small tank . cant leave it there alone so maybe ill get some more tigar barbs 20l tank aint big but what can I do?

yeah some lfs just dont do the research its all business business to them.

Back
Top Bottom