Red tailed shark!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
absolutangel04 said:
I have read research indicating BBG are ok in fw. Traditionally, they were thought of as brackish, yet some stores sell them as fw. However, I have read research and legit stories about people keeping them in fw for their lives. I do not know for sure because I do not own BBG, I am just saying that there is evidence that a fw life is ok for them if you research it.

Iirc there are 2 types, the true bumble bee goby, and another often sold as a bumble bee, but isn't actually! One is brackish and one is FW.

"The Brachygobius xanthozona has perfect unbroken black stripes and is best suited for brackish, but will tolerate fresh water much better than the other type.

The Brachygobius nunus has less well banded stripes, and occasionally black spots or broken stripes. It is not very tolerant of a fresh water environment. Technically its common name is the Golden Banded Goby, although I have not once seen these two species clearly distinguished when on sale in fish stores.
"

Iirc there are 2 types, the true bumble bee goby, and another often sold as a bumble bee, but isn't actually! One is brackish and one is FW. I'll find the link in a sec.
You're right. I apologize. The other type is still usually called a BBG IME even though it has a different latin name. I have seen mixed ideas about them being bw or fw. :)

Well all mine seem happy for now. I shall keep a close eye on them and if the are any trouble some one or any the get too big they will be rehomed

Chris1987notts said:
Well all mine seem happy for now. I shall keep a close eye on them and if the are any trouble some one or any the get too big they will be rehomed

You need to rehome them now. It's simply cruel keeping that amount and that type of fish in such a small tank.

You currently have 2 other threads with people telling you that you are overtsocked because of the aggression levels and sizes and social needs of the fish species you are keeping. Mrc8858 just said the same thing you have been told on both the other threads. Sorry, but I am not sure what you are hoping to hear.
Its good to get multiple opinions, but I am guessing other people will tell the same thing on this thread as on your other 2 threads. You have some fish that big and potentially mean. Sorry.

Chris1987notts said:
It's 18 gallons. They are fine

I really hope your not serious. Every reply has told you the same, too many fish of the wrong types in a tank that is WAY too small. Your really need to listen to people, you asked a question, you got answers, I really dont know what you are hoping to achieve.

Chris1987notts said:

But didn't you just ask for help because one of your fish is starting to harass the others?! There are many, many experienced fish keepers on this site. Listen to their advice and learn from them.

But didn't you just ask for help because one of your fish is starting to harass the others?! There are many, many experienced fish keepers on this site. Listen to their advice and learn from them.
Yeah, I am not sure why you would say they are all fine when you started a thread about the rts chasing/harassing other fish.....
People are not trying to attack you or be mean, they really are trying to help you out.

I agree. BTW, he said clown loach (maybe its on another thread).

Yes I saw that and edited real fast hehe

The goby's are fresh water. They have all been in the tank for over two months now. And Iv had no problem. They are all happy healthy and disease free. And the water is tip top.
Two months is in no way indicative of long term success! And that's not true because this thread is about a problem you are having as a result of your improper stocking practices!!!
I'm not sure what indicators make you feel like they "seem happy" but I can assure you, they are only surviving and, as long as you keep it stocked like that, they will not be thriving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well why do they all look fine and have done consistently for over two months now

I have a 60 uk litre community tank. (18 US gallons) With 2 platy, 4 guppy. (1 male. 3 female) 2 ram cichlids, to dwarf bumble bee goby's, 2 RTS, 1 male betta, 1 female better, 1 clown loach, 1 pleco, 1 glass catfish. And 4 shrimp and two clams. But they work well together.
and have done for over 2 months??
The platties, guppies, rams, shrimp, and clams stock, if not overstock, the tank. Everything else has no place in that tank.

BB gobies: Most likely a brackish species.

Bettas: Male and female should not be housed together.

Glass cats: Need a school of atleast 6 and a tank 29 gals or larger.

Red Tail Shark: One per tank, in a tank 55 gals or larger.

Clown loaches: Need a group of atleast 5, in a much larger tank.

Common pleco, since you haven't said what type: Could potentially reach 2 feet..needs 125-225 gallons of water depending on size.

I really hope you'll be more open minded in this thread. For the sake of your fish.

Its good that they have been fine for 2 months. But, the "why not" has been explained quite a few times. You have fish who are recommended for a much bigger tank. You have a pleco who can literally grow longer than the tank its in. You don't think that is overstocking?

Chris1987notts said:
fish grow to the size their environment will allow?

No! Fish growth is stunted by being kept in too small an aquarium. That is NOT the same thing. What you are doing, and refusing to accept and deal with, is cruel.

It is a common misconception among newer hobbyists and I'm glad you brought it up. That's actually called stunting. It's causing them internal damage by not allowing them to grow to the size they naturally would. It will often cause a hunchback look. Especially in certain fish, such as clown loaches.

I totally agree with siva and davepm.
It is an old school of thought that just accepts that fish grow to the size of their environment. There has been a bunch of research done on this now, so now we about growth stunting. The body can't grow anymore so the organs get all jam-packed in there and the spine can curve. It generally shortens the fish's lifespan, often dramatically. The process causes pain and stress.

Overstocking to such an extent, as you have going on in your tank, can also cause disease such as tuberculosis, not to mention the diseases you may run into from poor water quality caused by the overstocking, such as ich and velvet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom