redsea's 20g Freshwater Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bacopa is one of the stem plants you can plant a little closer. Plant the stems so the leaves of each stem just barely touch.

Oh that is good to know (about the spacing). If I plant every stem I cut with generous spacing I will run out of space quick.

I finally purchased a German Blue Ram yesterday! Here is a picture! :) I wish I had a bigger tank so I could get him a friend......someday, LOL.

Attachments

• image-4046250760.jpg
    image-4046250760.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 73
Here is another picture of the tank! Features in this picture is my new male GBR!

Thanks for checking out my thread!

Early in the thread Black sand is mentioned. Can someone tell me if I can get stuff for sand blasting? It is coal slag. Below is from the EBay listing:

Product Information:

Coal Slag is generally used in a pressure or siphon blaster when paint, rust, and scale have to be removed from steel, such as car/truck frames, tanks, heavy machinery, farm equipment, etc. Coal slag is superior to silica because it contains 0.1% or less silica. Coal slag is one of the most economical abrasive and is the best choice for large blast projects. Best uses: rust removal, heavy scale removal, paint and coatings removal. (End paste)

Is this an ok substrate? I'm starting a new 29 gallon.

Early in the thread Black sand is mentioned. Can someone tell me if I can get stuff for sand blasting? It is coal slag. Below is from the EBay listing:

Product Information:

Coal Slag is generally used in a pressure or siphon blaster when paint, rust, and scale have to be removed from steel, such as car/truck frames, tanks, heavy machinery, farm equipment, etc. Coal slag is superior to silica because it contains 0.1% or less silica. Coal slag is one of the most economical abrasive and is the best choice for large blast projects. Best uses: rust removal, heavy scale removal, paint and coatings removal. (End paste)

Is this an ok substrate? I'm starting a new 29 gallon.

I looked up Tractor Supply Company's Black Diamond Sand and the description sounds similar to watch you described:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...ory_rn=&top_category=&urlLangId=&cm_vc=-10005

Hi everyone! I have another video today, along with a few questions. :)
20g July - YouTube

Questions

1.) My Guppy's tail seems to be almost "tattered" (it isn't smoothly "cut"). Do you guys have any guesses as to why this may be occurring? I haven't seen with my own eyes any aggression taking place, so I am not sure if that is it.
2.) I seem to have a glob of hair algae in one part of one of my bushes of Bacopa. This may be due to the fact that I had been running the lights longer to try and give a little more algae to the Otocinclus (I have since set the timer back to six hours).
3). Lastly, one of my Cories has been lacking his whiskers (I can't remember if he was bought this way), and his stomach seems a bit odd to me. Do you think this is some kind of disease, or is it somewhat normal?

Thanks everyone for following, it means a lot! :-D

hey Redsea, welcome to the freshie side! lol Looks liker a nice tank, you've definitely taken the time to do everything right. :)

Good luck with this setup and hopefully we will see a new SW thread from you soon!

Hi everyone! I have another video today, along with a few questions. :)
20g July - YouTube

Questions

1.) My Guppy's tail seems to be almost "tattered" (it isn't smoothly "cut"). Do you guys have any guesses as to why this may be occurring? I haven't seen with my own eyes any aggression taking place, so I am not sure if that is it.
2.) I seem to have a glob of hair algae in one part of one of my bushes of Bacopa. This may be due to the fact that I had been running the lights longer to try and give a little more algae to the Otocinclus (I have since set the timer back to six hours).
3). Lastly, one of my Cories has been lacking his whiskers (I can't remember if he was bought this way), and his stomach seems a bit odd to me. Do you think this is some kind of disease, or is it somewhat normal?

Thanks everyone for following, it means a lot! :-D

I have found lots of guppies' tails to be kind of "rough." Check though for black edges, just to be sure. Black edges on the tattered fins indicates fin rot.

Cutting back the photoperiod is probably good to stop the algae. You can also try to spot treat with excel/glut or 3% hydrogen peroxide. I have a small amount of this in my 55g, though, and I have found manual removal is actually pretty easy.

Do you have a picture of the cory? Usually barbel erosion is due to poor water parameters - what are your numbers for ammo, nitrite, and nitrate?

hey Redsea, welcome to the freshie side! lol Looks liker a nice tank, you've definitely taken the time to do everything right. :)

Good luck with this setup and hopefully we will see a new SW thread from you soon!

Thanks! I appreciate it.

The SW is on its way. :)

I have found lots of guppies' tails to be kind of "rough." Check though for black edges, just to be sure. Black edges on the tattered fins indicates fin rot.

Cutting back the photoperiod is probably good to stop the algae. You can also try to spot treat with excel/glut or 3% hydrogen peroxide. I have a small amount of this in my 55g, though, and I have found manual removal is actually pretty easy.

Do you have a picture of the cory? Usually barbel erosion is due to poor water parameters - what are your numbers for ammo, nitrite, and nitrate?

Thanks for all the info!

Here is a picture of the Corys (the False Julii almost looks like he has this "condition" too).

I'll post once I get those levels tested. :)

Thanks again for the help.

Here is a picture of the Guppy too. I don't seem to see any black edges, which I am very glad about.

Also included in the picture is Mr. GBR! :lol:

Attachments

• image-2847021887.jpg
    image-2847021887.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 41
The guppy doesn't look like it has fin rot. Just keep watching for bullying. Black skirt tetras are known to be nippers, so if there is bullying going on I'd be willing to bet it's from them.

I'm not seeing the picture of the cory - did it upload correctly?

Back
Top Bottom