redsea's 20g Freshwater Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It does appear to be barbel erosion. Check water parameters and do water changes a bit more often than usual to keep water extra clean. This will encourage them to grow back. Also try to keep the substrate clean. Lots of good sized water changes should to the trick :)

It does appear to be barbel erosion. Check water parameters and do water changes a bit more often than usual to keep water extra clean. This will encourage them to grow back. Also try to keep the substrate clean. Lots of good sized water changes should to the trick :)

Darn! I thought I was doing well on my PWCs too. :(

I think you may have pinpointed the issue with the substrate. I didn't think I was supposed to clean the sand that much due to having plants......oops. How would I vacuum the sand?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Darn! I thought I was doing well on my PWCs too. :(

I think you may have pinpointed the issue with the substrate. I didn't think I was supposed to clean the sand that much due to having plants......oops. How would I vacuum the sand?

Thanks!

You can hold the gravel vac 1" or so above the substrate, or enough to suck up the detritus and not the sand itself. It can be a bit tricky at first but you'll get used to it.

You can hold the gravel vac 1" or so above the substrate, or enough to suck up the detritus and not the sand itself. It can be a bit tricky at first but you'll get used to it.
Fantastic! Thanks for the tip!

Do you think that my other Cories were on their way to developing it? Or were these two just really sensitive!

Thanks a lot!

Fantastic! Thanks for the tip!

Do you think that my other Cories were on their way to developing it? Or were these two just really sensitive!

Thanks a lot!

Hard to say since we don't know for sure what is causing it - however if it is dirty substrate or poor water conditions, most likely it would affect all of them eventually if not fixed.

Hard to say since we don't know for sure what is causing it - however if it is dirty substrate or poor water conditions, most likely it would affect all of them eventually if not fixed.

Got it, thanks.

Ugggg, look at all this hair algae! Any suggestions from my great followers? Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• image-632512878.jpg
    image-632512878.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 74
  • image-3497904697.jpg
    image-3497904697.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 79
Run your lights only 6 hours. Dose your liquid carbon at 1ml per 5 gallons of water. And spot treat the hair algae with Hydrogen Peroxide.

Thanks Janis!

So Leaf Zone and Flourish Comp. 1 mL per 5g? Or just one of those?

Thanks again. :)

Ohhh, okay. Silly me, LOL.

So I can keep the ferts going while using Excel, right? Thanks!

LOL. :)

I didn't know Guppies could be so rambunctious! Mine is always "pecking" on my Otos and occasionally a Cory.....it is quite strange behavior. Have you ever witnessed such a thing?

Actually guppies, platies, and mollies can be quite aggressive. People are always amazed when their pretty guppy males turn into terrors.

LOL. :)

I didn't know Guppies could be so rambunctious! Mine is always "pecking" on my Otos and occasionally a Cory.....it is quite strange behavior. Have you ever witnessed such a thing?

They definitely can be more aggressive than you would think - I have had to separate and/or rehome several guppies because of aggression.

Thanks everyone!

Another quick question.

Safely, how far can my heater be above the water level? Sometimes it looks like the atttched picture, is that alright?

Attachments

• image-3047168052.jpg
    image-3047168052.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 55
Thanks everyone!

Another quick question.

Safely, how far can my heater be above the water level? Sometimes it looks like the atttched picture, is that alright?

There should be an indication on the heater itself. It depends on the brand and type usually

Yes to the above advice but with that type of heater you want to be sure nothing but the knob is above the water line. I take it your tank is too short to stand it upright?

Back
Top Bottom