redsea's 20g Freshwater Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Following & Thank You!

I also have an AC50 in a 20g and could never seem to get the water level high enough to reach the overflow lip so I made an extension out of the plastic strip that comes with the all glass canopy. As seen in the pics below I cut it to size. Added a few bends and attached the "clamp" end to the overflow lip. Note: some plastic strips are easier to cut than others; I used regular scissors for the Marineland brand but needed very heavy duty scissors for the Aqueon brand.
Depending on the angle of the bend, the water should flow across the surface and not directly at the substrate.
View attachment 158028
View attachment 158029
View attachment 158030

I am following this thread because I am also setting up a 20L. I love this suggestion as this tank will be next to the bed, so I am looking for quiet.

Swords and crypts get root tabs. I would get and use the API Leaf Zone along with the Flourish Comprehensive.

Flourish comprehensive is mostly micro nutrients and Leaf Zone actually has potassium and iron. Many tanks that only use liquid ferts that are mainly micros' end up having potassium deficiencies over time.

Update!

I dosed Flourish Comprehensive and Leaf Zone! I also added some water to the tank.

I also added a bag if Purigen. Is it possible to overdose that? It just came in a small mesh bag, so I assumed it was okay to put the whole thing in my filter.

Thanks!

Great, thank you! It said it was good for up to 100g or something. :) So with that much it shouldn't reduce the amount of plant "food" I put in the water? Thanks.

Thanks Rivercats, your help is very much appreciated. :)

I forgot to mention I also added three root tabs tonight, and everything in the tank is going swimmingly! :)

I am thinking I will get some new fish this Friday, not sure what yet, however.

Would any of you think it is too early add another fish or two? It is kind of embarrassing to say, but for some reason I really want a Guppy, LOL. I don't want to have them to have a huge bio-load though! :lol:

Would any of you think it is too early add another fish or two? It is kind of embarrassing to say, but for some reason I really want a Guppy, LOL. I don't want to have them to have a huge bio-load though! :lol:
Nothing embarrassing about Guppies mate. They add a nice bit of colour to any tank. The colour combo's is endless....

Very true, I love the great variety. I figure after exactly three weeks my tank could handle a new fish or two. :)

I have a little update for tonight!
I needed up purchasing two Julii Cories (probably false, right?), and a beautiful reddish-orange Guppy. :) Pictures are on their way for tomorrow.

Here is an updated FTS of the aquarium. I will try to get some better photos of the new additions later. :)

Back
Top Bottom