Reef Aquarium Setup... In a 10 Gallon??!!??!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chabooky386

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone did this? I want to start doing it but I am afraid it is too small. Anyone have a 10 gallon setup for reef. Anybody got pics?

Thanks in advance...

There are many people that have successful 10G SW tanks. However, they are not recommended for beginner SW aquarists.

It is much easier to start with the biggest tank your budget will allow. This is because it is easier to maintain water parameters of a larger volume of water than it is for a small volume of water. Small water volumes are less stable because small shifts result in big changes to the overall water quality.

Nano tanks (20G or less) need constant supervision to ensure that the water quality is always optimal to sustain the life within the tank. As water evaporates, the salinity increases because the salts don't evaporate therefore you have a more concentrated SW mix..... Constant freshwater top-offs are then needed to keep the salinity stable.

Fresh water top-offs are also needed in bigger tanks, but the amount of evaporation isn't as detrimental to the inhabitants because of the larger volume of water.

do a search for nano tanks on google images and you'll probably find lots of pics, but I would say that if t's your first tank, and you want a succesful tank, get something that's at least 30G+.

Cheers

10 gallon is def possible. As stated earlier the larger the better starting out. Ryguy explained it well. Some people in here even have 3/4 gallon nano's.

I have a 10 gal that is doing fine I have had it since January it was already an established tank I got it with two condies and live rock and sand and an urchine and a turbo snail. Now I have a Clown, Green Mushrooms, Xenia(the big one died thanks to the urchine but I have tons of babies on all of my live rock), Orange Zoos, 9 Snails of various denomonations, and 7 crabs of various denominations. I can post up some pics lets see...

Attachments

• fish_tank_024tiny_118.jpg
    fish_tank_024tiny_118.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 39
I've got a 10 gallon cycling right now. I was planning on my 75 being my first saltwater setup but I don't quite have the cash to get it going right now and I am way to damn impatient to wait to start saltwater. Anyways my friend has a 10gallon saltwater right now. He's got about 20 lbs of live rock. His current inhabitents include a large anenome, no idea what it is, a purple firefish, a True P. Clown, and a six line wrasse. The tank is beyond beautiful. The problem for him now is that the anenome is outgrowing the tank, it takes up about half right now. So that's something to watch out for. You might want to try a little bit bigger than a 10, maybe a 20 or a 20Long. You can usually pick up 30gallon tanks for about $50. Ebay!

Regards,
Ken

Back
Top Bottom