ReefBoy's 360 Gallon REEF Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Moorish idols are a fish best left in the sea. They are a struggle and many will refuse to eat when moved into our systems. I'd skip it.
I'd also be wary of having more than one tang that looks alike in the tank. It might be a big tank, but they will find a way to bully one another to death. I'd stick with one yellow tang.
And gratz on the final round. Hope it went well.

I have 2 yellow tangs in my current tank. They've been together for a while and I actually purchased them from a fish store that had them in the same tank. Would it be alright to keep them?

If not I can give one to my neighbor. He has a 280 Reef With no tangs and few fish... from what I remember... SPS tank.

So I will keep it to just 1's from now on (y)

Would a batfish be a miss? I heard they can get big and will loosetheir color. Also difficult to keep.. Skip it?

How long have those tangs been together without aggression? If a long time it might be ok.
Batfish I'd skip due to how difficult they are to keep. They like to eat small fish...so all the anthias you want would be expensive meals.

They have been together for 2 years in my tank so far. They were at the fish store for about 3 months, the owner said when he got them in they were labeled as Paired Tangs.. I didn't think there was such a thing. But they have been really friendly and they school/ swim together Most of the time.

Oooh those aren't on the menu.... No batfish then. Lol.

Looking into:

15-30 Carberryi, Lyretail, or Bartletts....

Any suggestions? If not I think Ill go with around 15-20 of the Carberryi Anthias.

Maybe 10 Carberryi and 15 Lyretails? That might be a pretty mix!

Last edited:
So I hooked up 2 Mp40 Quiet Drives so I could play with them until the tank arrives. Snapped a pic of the Scolymia after another weekly water change tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_6084.jpg
    IMG_6084.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_6103-1.jpg
    IMG_6103-1.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 76
Took some pics of the corals. The Acans are continuing to open little by little, more and more, as I continue to keep up with the weekly water changes.:popcorn:

Now I remember how important it is...:whistle:

Attachments

• IMG_6120.jpg
    IMG_6120.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6124.jpg
    IMG_6124.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_6126.jpg
    IMG_6126.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6165.jpg
    IMG_6165.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 63
Also got some pics of the fish. The mandarin goby is always impossible to get a good photo of. He is always hiding when I'm up in front of the tank. :( The blue tang is always on the move. and he always turns out purplish in photos.. I'll try tuning the lights to more of a 10k lighting next time I want to get a pic of him.

Attachments

• IMG_6163.jpg
    IMG_6163.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6185.jpg
    IMG_6185.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_6177.jpg
    IMG_6177.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6204.jpg
    IMG_6204.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 68
Moorish idols are a fish best left in the sea. They are a struggle and many will refuse to eat when moved into our systems. I'd skip it.
I'd also be wary of having more than one tang that looks alike in the tank. It might be a big tank, but they will find a way to bully one another to death. I'd stick with one yellow tang.
And gratz on the final round. Hope it went well.

Thanks for the Congrats! Placed 2nd Nationally. :facepalm:
Oh well. The top 2 go to team trials and compete for Team USA. That means no room for messing up.:banghead:

Still cool. My neighbors and my family were big into swimming/diving. Where most of us only made it to districts/states my one neighbor was on that level. It's cool stuff. Keep up the good work, both in the tank and out.

Still cool. My neighbors and my family were big into swimming/diving. Where most of us only made it to districts/states my one neighbor was on that level. It's cool stuff. Keep up the good work, both in the tank and out.

That's awesome! I think it's great to have something that you can literally do for the rest of your life. Something that inspires you to jump out of bed, not just get out of bed, every morning.:D Thank you for the encouragement! :thanks:

So I think the curing process on the dry rocks is finished. They were the Pukani rock from BRS. Just hoping it doesn't nook the new tAnk after a few months. I've heard some pretty iffy things about phosphates leaching out of the rocks and booking people's tanks...... Of course I didn't find out about that until I ordered the rocks and started curing them.

I did scrub them down extremely thoroughly. I should probably change the water out once more. Then I will leave them for another 2 weeks while I'm on vacation. Should be clear but the time the tank arrives... I hope....

Alright guys the tank stand has arrived!! I will be installing doors and staining the stand by the end of this week. I have to work Thursday-Sunday. So I will have a little extra loot to spend on fish and corals while I'm out in California :D

Attachments

• IMG_6341.jpg
    IMG_6341.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6337.jpg
    IMG_6337.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_6358.jpg
    IMG_6358.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_6364.jpg
    IMG_6364.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 70
Im contemplating going with T5HO fixtures along with LED's for this tank. I will do 2, 4 bulb aquatic life fixtures with ATI bulbs. I will also use 4 Kessil a360w's.

Any thoughts on this? I want to do the 2 types of lights because I have heard great things from people using the 2 together. But let me know what you think!

I will also be installing the Wood floor in my bedroom upstairs by the end of next week.. Im thinking of doing a nano in my bedroom.. Or a frag tank.. I have an Mp10, Hydra 26. Auto top off, and Reef Octopus HOB skimmer that are just sitting around. I would love to put some of my frags (Once stuff starts growing) into the nano.

I don't think you need to waste the money for T5s, but it's up to you. LEDs will work just fine by themselves.

Oh.. Then I guess I will just go with the Kessils! I'm guessing that the information I read up on was outdated. :D.

4 Kessil a360w or a360N??

Tank dimensions= 48x48x30

The rock structure will be cylinder like in the center of the tank with a 2 foot diameter. Leaving 1 foot around the edges of the tank. It will reach all the way to the top of the water(4 inches from the top of the water).

Opinion more than outdated. You can keep whatever you want under the right leds, with no supplement needed. I don't see anything wrong with the stand, except I would say that that center 2x6 shown in the last picture isn't doing much without a support underneath. It's basically relying on the shear strength of the screws/nails holding it in place. I'd just take a look at some larger tank stands at the LFS. Most of them don't even use 2x4 stock. At least they didn't.

Back
Top Bottom