refugium question please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DoIt4Fun

Aquarium Advice Regular
What should I use glass or plexiglass and what type of caulking should I use too...

I bought a 20 gal long tank, the pieces of glass were cut at lowes, some sealant from my lfs, a clip on work light, and a light bulb. Built my sump and it only cost me 54 bucks...most of the cost was the tank since it was new. Pretty easy to do too. Glass is cheaper than plexiglass, atleast around me.

Mine is a 20L with 1/8" plexiglass. Pure silicon caulk is fine, so long as it doesn't contain any mildew inhibiting agents, or other additives. It doesn't bond readily with plexiglass, but if you sand the sides and rough it up a bit, it does ok.

FWIW, if I had to to it over again, I would probably use glass, as cutting the plexi was a bit of a pain, and the 1/8" while cheap, does flex a bit with water running through the sump - if you go plexiglass I would use 1/4".

Third on using a 20g long tank. Also used plexiglass. I use a silicone that specifies for aquariums but is available at liwes, Home Depot or even Walmart.

I agree cutting the plexiglass was a pain. If you have a table saw would be best. I used a utility knife to score and then snapped...some cuts were good some I had to redo completely r sand Down.

Glass may or may not have been easier. I haven't fully water tested yet except for the two end chambers. I did notice my baffles did not end up perfectly vertical but shouldn't make a huge deal. Total cost was prob around $50. Got the tank on sale at Petco for $20. Plexiglass was prob 10 and then knife and silicone

Back
Top Bottom