Refugium/ sump help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dizzydea

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank was originally salt water from a Previous owner. I want to convert it to a fresh water tank with a refudgium. So it's my first experience with a sump and I'm confused. Why are there 3 pipes for water to come out of? I have some plastic grid and I'm wanting to build a filter media basket holder but I don't know where to put it. Here is my sump.

Attachments

• image-2071361074.jpg
    image-2071361074.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 112
This is what I want to build. Where do I put it? In the last section I'm assuming.

Attachments

• image-2002355886.jpg
    image-2002355886.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 117
How do I get it out to change the media with the pipes being there?

The sump in your first pic will work great

Just fill the centre section with what ever media you want heaters in the last section

Then when water comes into the tank use jap mat or another course type of pre filter

That sump looks like mine and works great no need to change a thing just add media and fill

The sump in your first pic will work great

Just fill the centre section with what ever media you want heaters in the last section

Then when water comes into the tank use jap mat or another course type of pre filter

That sump looks like mine and works great no need to change a thing just add media and fill

Could you post a pick of you set up?

If its FW no need for for anything other than

A pre filter where the water enters the sump jap mat is the best some people use filter socks

Then in the centre section fill with bio media I use eheim efi mech and eheim substrate pro

The heaters go in the small section next to the pump job done no need for anything else

I have been tuning mine the way mentioned for years

I will try to get a picture later my sump is massive 6x2x2

Thanks again I will put a pick of mine when it ready, so if your sump is that big then how large is your tank lol!

How do I quiet the sump overflow intake it's so noisy sucking the water down!!!!!!!!

Thanks again I will put a pick of mine when it ready, so if your sump is that big then how large is your tank lol!

My tank is 8ft long 6ft wide 3ft deep

As for making the overflow less noisy you need small holes drilled in the dorso pipe to let in air this will stop the gurgling sound

But sump drains are noisy in general so not much can be done

I'm not sure how you would even get a drill down there! Wow what an impressive tank! You should post pics :)

It's hard for me to get pics of my sump

Do you have weirs in your tank

Back
Top Bottom