Remove Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gozetec02

Aquarium Advice Activist
How do I go about removing a carpet anemone from my tank. It is perfectly healthy but is around 8" across now from wthe 4" when I bought it 2 months ago. I want to take him to my LFS and trade him for a smaller one.

How do I go about removing him from his perch on the live rock without damaging him.

Are your clowns currently hosting in it? Is a larger tank an option? I fear that getting a smaller one will put you back in the same spot in a few months as carpet anenome are know to grow.

As for removing it if it has to go just work your hand underneath and gently work it off whatever substrate it is attached to and then bag it for transport. Make sure your LFS is ready and willing to accept it as well.

If it is firmly attached to some rock you may have to wait of give up the rock. If you are worried about the sting I would not, just make sure you handle it from the underside as much as possible. You can also use a new rinsed pair of rubber gloves as well.

Nope the Clowns want nothing to do with it. I don't have room for a larger tank. The clowns are more interested in the holey rock.

OK, then I would return it if the LFS will take, but I would probably not get another carpet. Maybe a BTA for your clowns, I do not think they get quite as big. Otherwise I am partial to rock flower anenome. No hosting properties, but they are inexpensive, look cool and are easy to care for.

Someone else might has other recomendations if you are looking for an anenome to host.

With a 20 gallon tank I would not put any type of anemone in there. Return the unwanted carpet for store credit. One or two large hairy mushrooms will look about the same and you won't have to worry about them overgrowing your tank.

A 20gal is a bit tight for a carpet. As you know, they grow fast and large. The best method I have found is gentle rubbing the outside of the foot and ti will slowly release. It could take a couple hours so give yourself time and do not rush it. If you damage the foot in any way it could kill the animal. You can also try rubbing an ice cube on the foot. Another option is to position a powerhead directly at it's foot, it may not like the additional flow and uproot itself.

Back
Top Bottom