Removing rim on tank?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlover45

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to remove the rim on my 20 gallon long! I want that nice, clean rimless look! Does anyone know how to do that? (BTW, I purchased the tank from Petco!)

I imagine this is a pretty bad idea. Rimless tanks are designed differently to be able to support the pressure without a rim. A rim-removed regular tank might just spontaneously fail. But I suppose I haven't experienced this so I can't say for sure.

I imagine this is a pretty bad idea. Rimless tanks are designed differently to be able to support the pressure without a rim. A rim-removed regular tank might just spontaneously fail. But I suppose I haven't experienced this so I can't say for sure.
+1 rimmed tanks arent meant to have the rims taken off. Theres an increased chance of tank failure.

You could brace it with glass, but im not sure how well that would work.

I was just going to do it on the top! But like you guys said, I'm not sure if it's for decoration/holding lids or bracing ��

Yup, gives it an extra hold for the weight distribution. It could cause bowing, leaks, and cracking if removed

People do remove the trim on tanks, but it's a bigger risk than I am willing to take.

Shorter tanks like a 20 long usually aren't an issue, but I'd be nervous trying it on anything larger than 10 gallons.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

I wouldn't, the glass edge will be sharper than you'd probably like. Unless you know exactly what you're doing the glass will most likely look crappy when you're done.. oh yah.. the whole tank failure thing too :/ buy a rimless tank!! They look awesome!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom