rinsing flourite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellym

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is this stuff supposed to be this nasty?? Or am I rinsing some good stuff down the drain? Although I have had freshwater and saltwater for years...this is my first planted tank.

If it's the Flourite red it's real dusty. If it's the normal Flourite it's still a bit dusty. The way I do it is put about 1/3-1/2 the bag in a five gallon bucket. Then take it out to the yard and use the hose to rinse it. Stir it around a bit but don't get too aggressive with it. Then carefully pour the dirty water out while keeping the majority of the 'fines'. Do this a couple, three times till the water is fairly clear and then put it in your tank. When you are finished put a plate in the tank and fill it slowly directing the water flow over the plate.

The other hint is to put a thin layer of ground peat at the very bottom. This will quickly create an acidic environment to allow the plant roots to access the iron in the Flourite.

Back
Top Bottom