roots above substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

juantoro

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Most of the 'leafy' plants (ludwigia, wisteria etc.) in my tank grow roots all the way up the stem. They come out mostly just below each set of leaves. I have always wondered if I should leave these or should I trim them off? Is this normal? I never seem to see them in any of the pictures of other peoples tanks...

:oops:

Perfectly normal. Some stem plants are more prone to it than others. You can remove them or leave them be as you prefer.

Clipping just below these is how you propogate those plants. Ugly as those are, they do have a purpose. Personnally, I trim them off because i don't like the look.

Thanks guys! I think I'll start trimming them as well..

On a related note, are there any standard tools for maintaining aquarium plants? Currently I just use a regular old pair of scissors for trimming and my hands for planting/replanting. I don't mind dunking my hands (luckily none of my fish have teeth cause they all seem to be quite curious and/or affectionate) but sometimes I just don't feel like getting my arms wet and wish I could do some quick trimming, replanting etc. from above the surface...

There are a great variety of planting tools available. DrsfosterSmith.com has a set which includes those long pruning type scissors. I would recommended that you use stainless steel in any event.

*Some folks go so far as to use surgical supplies. :)

Maybe these might help you out in that situation:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...x=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=2004&Nty=1
lg_912221_34725P_001.jpg

also...just noticed this, although i've never seen it before. sounds nifty if it works well.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1
lg_21209_28345D.jpg

found some more options for you :)

http://www.petsolutions.com/Landscaping+Kit-I-12516808-I-C-41-C-.aspx
12516808.jpg

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13912&N=2004+113218
lg_22926_34710.jpg

My favorite tools are a nice sharp pair of scissors and a nice long set of pliers. When planting a foreground carpet of HC or similar plants a pair of splinter pliers is invaluable. The rest just sit around unused.

Wow, those are some serious tools! They have some cool stuff over on those sites. I'm torn, but I think I'll give the el-cheapo version a try to see how they work..

If the pliers actually allow me to replant things that would be great as my goldfish are constantly pulling my ludwigia up. I know, I know, goldfish and plants don't mix.. :-( but can't help trying to make it work. I use the ludwigia as a decoy as they seem to really like it. This way they seem to leave the other stuff alone for the most part... a couple bunches can last a good few weeks. But each day when I get home from work there are 3-4 of them floating at the surface so I'm constantly replanting... maybe I'll start a thread on plants + goldfish if one doesn't already exist...

but I digress..
Thanks for the info!

Wow, you guys really go out of your way to trim up those plants. Maybe I'm just mean, but I just grab the plant, uproot it, and then rip it into pieces and replant.

juantoro, I hear ya on the roots growing everywhere. As Joy has already stated, some grow more then others and the ones you have are ones that are known for growing numerous water roots.

When you aquascape with these plants, you learn to cover up the portion of the plant that is growing these roots with another kind of plant.

rkilling1 said:
Wow, you guys really go out of your way to trim up those plants. Maybe I'm just mean, but I just grab the plant, uproot it, and then rip it into pieces and replant.

juantoro, I hear ya on the roots growing everywhere. As Joy has already stated, some grow more then others and the ones you have are ones that are known for growing numerous water roots.

When you aquascape with these plants, you learn to cover up the portion of the plant that is growing these roots with another kind of plant.

Don't feel bad...I do the same exact thing. He asked, and I had some free time so I figured I'd help him out.

Back
Top Bottom