ropefish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canucksfan1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was just wondering if any of you guys has any experiance with ropefish. i just got one and can't find any info about them on the internet. they seem like really neat fish and was just wondering if any of u have any ifo on them and keeping them?

Keep canopy tightly covered as they are escape artists. They like company so preferably more than one. Sand substrate is always good for them to play in. They will eat smaller fish so be cautious as they can be agrresive. Large tank as they grow quite big and fast...Hmmm Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. :p Oh yeah frozen foods or live shrimp is what they like eating mine loves everything that is moving :roll:

We had two at school that reached two feet and were doing great until they commited suicide
undecided.gif
They're really cool fish, I have a senegal bichir and as long as you make sure your tank is secure, they don't get out.. I've never had mine ever get out.. lol

I have one right now and it's quickly becoming a favorite of mine. They are really cool fish! If you just got it, it may take some time for it to settle in. So don't be overly concerned if hasn't eaten anything or if it hasn't been out very much yet. Mine took about 4 or 5 days before it started to come out more and more and finally ate it's first meal. As already mentioned they do get quite large so you'll want to make sure he has enough room to grow into. Mine's in a 75 gallon right now and he seems to be doing ok so far. He's probably a little over 12".

What do you currently have as tankmates? Mine is housed with some Gouramis. Loaches, and Barbs who all go into a feeding frenzy as soon as food hits the water. To be safe I feed mine by hand (when I'm feeding frozen foods) to make sure it gets some. My other fish are just so fast that I'm afraid that they wouldn't leave anything for the Rope to eat. It took a while for my Ropefish to feel comfortable enought to take food from my hand, but now he's more than willing as long as I don't make any sudden movements that'll scare it. Mine especially loves frozen beefheart and mysis shrimp. I've tried frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, but so far he's not very interested in that.

They're nocturnal so you'll want to make sure there are some dark hiding spots for it to hide in when the tank lights are on. Mine has claimed two of the 4" terra cotta pots that have a about a 1.5 -2" opening. He's almost always seen curled up in one of these pots when I check up on him.

As it was already mentioned they are great escape artists so you definitely do want to make sure that all openings are sealed up. If there is an opening it's most likely find it and will try to get out. If this does happen, don't panic if you find it hours later all dried up. They have a special respiratory organ which will allow it to survive up to 6-8 hours out of water. So if it this does happen to you, it may 'revive' itself when you put it back in water.

That's pretty much all I can think of right now. :)

Yea i got it yesturday, didn't have any problem with him not coming out or not eatin he was out cruisin around as soon as i put him in the tank as with the others. Right now i have a couple of small angels, dwarf gouramies, loaches, rosy barbs, small blood parrots, and a small rainbow shark. I know this is quite a bit for a 55 gallon but they won't all be there forever they are all still really small, and the tank has a whisper 60, aquaclear 30 and 20 HOB filters so i'm not to worried about filtration right now ant the fish will be split up when they get bigger i just gotta get my other tanks cycled.

One thing I've learned from having these types of fish are.... don't put them near flowy finned fish...and don't let them near fish they can probably swallow LOL I learned the hard way that they like to 'play' with betta fish and eat things that're stupid enough to get near their mouth and they're hungry.... @__@

they have no real defense, so they should be protected from aggressive fish. also they need a high protein diet, so frozen bloodworms/shrimps are a must

Back
Top Bottom