Rubbermaid Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been reading a lot of posts lately in the DIY section, and various other forums, that mention using Rubbermaid containers for various aquarium needs. I was wondering if a clear Rubbermaid container with appropriate BIO-Wheel for the volume would function as the main aquarium? I'm thinking about keeping snails, shrimp, crabs, and that tiger lobster that I've seen around in it, but I'd also like to know if there would be any problems with keeping actual fish in it also.

If it does, I'm thinking that this would be an inexpensive way to "upgrade" an aquarium for people who bought fish without realizing that they will outgrow the old aquarium.

I think it would be fine. You would probably get your best viewing of it from above vs from the side but it should still serve the purpose.

Lots of people use rubbermaid containers as temp tanks. I know of one friend who QTs new fish in one. Long as its cleaned well, and has a filter/aeration/heater, shouldn't be a problem. And it doesn't HAVE to even be clear, although it would be a little more interesting that way.

Wonderful! I just wanted to check here before attempting it, to make sure there wasn't something I overlooked.

I believe that I shall write up how I convert a large Rubbermaid style tub into an aquarium, including costs, to help people who discover that their current tank will not be big enough for their fish.

I thought rubbers were footwear over in the UK LondonGman ;) Where's YOUR mind?

*edit*

I stand corrected LOL Those are wellingtons...rubbers are at the end of pencils ;)

*thanx the hubby*

LOL

Outter bracing seems to be a recurring concept in larger containers. Perhaps put a strap around the middle so it can't bow out, possibly build a box around it?

On a slightly related note....If my apartment manager decides to re-do my bathroom (its about 100 yrs old), I'm going to ask to keep the old claw-foot bathtub, and make a bathtub goldfish pond of sorts.

Who needs a coffee table? :lol:

I would amost say put a sheet of plexiglass on top, and boom, table. Would probably be bad for the fish if you banged something on the surface though.

Oh cool idea sweets! LOL Just be sure the floor can handle the weight; don't want your fish to become the downstairs neighbors fish ;)

Those old claw-foot bathtubs are valuable if in good condition.. my parents were just getting estimates on re-doing a bathroom where there is a very old claw-foot tub.. The guy told them they were crazy to want to get rid of it, that new they go for upwards of $3000 (USD) and if they don't want it anymore to sell it on eBay.. If your landlord knows their worth, I doubt he'll let you keep it for fish!

They are indeed valuable...and heavy (although I'd assume if the floor can support me taking a bath...it should be able to support my fish taking one too!).

I know they wouldn't want to *donate* the tub to me...but they might let me keep it in my apartment until I move out...saves them from having to deal with it's disposal/sale for awhile.

But it's all probably a day dream...i mean...they've left the bathroom as is for 100 years....whats a few more?! :lol:

(I even have one of those sinks with seperate cold and hot taps...makes getting warm water kinda tricky)

Back
Top Bottom