Rubbermaid Stock Tank Frag Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Qube

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Alright, so I have some unused space in my unfinished basement that I'm thinking of occupying with a frag tank setup utilizing 2 Rubbermaid stock tanks from Tractor Supply.

My thought is to place it in the corner of the basement in a "L" type of setup. My thoughts are to use steel z-beam shelving to hold the tanks, as each shelf on these is capable of holding 1000lbs.

The setup will be as follows, against one wall will be a 50g stock tank that will hold the frags which will drain into a 100g stock tank that will be "L'd" off the right side of the 50g. This tank will hold all the necessary live rock for the filtration as well as macro algae. Then the water will drain into a 55g aquarium placed under the 50g stock tank where I will house the protein skimmer/heaters/return pump and from there the water gets pumped back up to the frag tank.

This is the cost breakdown:

50g stock tank--$75
100g stock tank--$80
55g aquarium--free (as I already have)
2-48" tall shelving units for stands--$70
Bulkheads and plumbing--overestimating at $30
Return pump--$100

Total cost to complete system, minus heaters/live rock/skimmer/lights--- $355

Seems pretty straight forward, what do you guys think??

So I've started... Instead of a a 50g and 150g, I decided to go with to 50g's instead. Under the taller one, I have a standard 55g that will house my equipment. Next up, plumbing...

you missed out the cost of lighting, whichever way you go to light a frag tank its goign to be expensive

Cost of lighting won't be horrible, the stock tank is only 11.5" deep, so a 48" 6 bulb T-5 fixture hung from the ceiling will do. They're always on Craigslist relatively cheap for those upgrading to LEDs.

Hey Qube,

Would you please post some pictures of the project? I had plans on cultivating frags with the big RubberMaid containers also. Yiu would be a great help for me if you please wouldn't mind....

Thanks
Kenn

Here are a few pics of a Sri fit on the plumbing with water being fed with
A garden hose.

image-1174796291.jpg

image-14919879.jpg

image-1135177958.jpg

image-338263261.jpg

image-2891477981.jpg

Of course it's just a test run, so nothing is leveled. I currently just have some homemade durso style standpipes for my drains, but I need to come up with a way to incorporate surface skimming.

Here's a shot of how it will be setup in the corner of my basement, just missing my 55g that will be underneath.

image-142267894.jpg

Attachments

• image-2578295720.jpg
    image-2578295720.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 438
Surface skimming solution solved. Also added an emergency overflow should the primary get clogged. Only a slight water noise, but it's in the basement, so no harm done.

Installed, plumbed and ready to go! Thursday, my return pump comes, looking forward to getting this thing going!!

Going to start the filling process.

image-597957304.jpg

System volume will be somewhere around 110 gallons after rock. Figured I'd start filling today since my RODI reservoir is only 30 gallons.

Going to start the filling process.

System volume will be somewhere around 110 gallons after rock. Figured I'd start filling today since my RODI reservoir is only 30 gallons.

Nice job. I've done something similar. I use the 100 gal rubbermaid as my sump, the frag tank is a 10" x 36" x 72", with a 55 gal off to the side all plumbed together.

Attachments

• image-1301414006.jpg
    image-1301414006.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 342
  • image-108312099.jpg
    image-108312099.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 374
Nice setup! I was thinking of going with an actual frag tank, but then I decided I wanted to go with a more rudimentary approach to see how it will perform. I was on the fence on working out a 100g stock tank for the refugium area, but the size just didn't fit my idea. Definitely love your setup though!

I've used a bunch of these over the years at the LFS and as sumps and frag tanks at home. They are pretty much indestructible, but difficult to put in baffles as I have found few glues that will stick to it. Can't beat the price.

Does anyone have trouble with the drain leaking at the bottom? I want one but it will be in a room with laminate floors and they don't like leaks!!

Does anyone have trouble with the drain leaking at the bottom? I want one but it will be in a room with laminate floors and they don't like leaks!!

Just set mine up and in the process of filling it, no leaks so far. I did drill it on the flat spot of the tank where rubbermaid designed for drains to be installed.

As long as you install the bulkhead properly, they seal up really well. Not much use as a display tank in the living room, but works for about everything else. Best thing to cure live rock in because they are so tough.

Mine came with a bulkhead preinstalled and it leaked. I was planning on changing it out to a PVC-80 bulkhead anyways so it didn't matter. Was a tough fit though due to the ledge inside. Also I got a 100 gal on eBay for $99 (shipped free) and it was delivered in less than 36 hours!

Back
Top Bottom