Rusty's 120 Gallon Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReeferRusty

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well Friends,
It's time to get the build on. I am pretty far now as to being through my first cycle and all. I have fish. Shy on Rock. Moving forward slowly as I progress into a reef tank..(still far out). Ill post what I've got so far, and how I progressed. Keep in mind that this is my first tank and I am very open to suggestions and help! Thanks in Advance!

Initial Build Part #1 - 30g Sump Re-Seal

Just started a 120 Build, Im to the point where I have a few fish now, but we will start from beginning to finish.

First built the sump from a 30 gallon I had. Stripped all the caulk out and resealed the tank. Made some baffles and got the chambers setup. I will be changing these later due to a sump re-design. Three Chambers, 1) Crash Zone, 2) Refugium Zone, 3)Return Zone, 1 1/2" Drill for external return pump reduced to 1".

IMG_1759.JPG

IMG_1761.JPG

Initial Build Part #2 - 120g Display Tank Drilling

Next comes the 120 Marineland (Perfecto) tank to be drilled. Drilled 1 1/2" drain line in the bottom to sump, and (2) 1" return holes for returning water to display from sump. These were easy, but it took some big kahunas to drill into something I just paid $477 for. A couple of diamond coated bits from Bulk Reef Supply and some patience and everything came out just fine.

TOTAL: $512.48

IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_1764.JPG

IMG_1768.JPG

IMG_1769.JPG

IMG_1772.JPG

IMG_1775.JPG

IMG_1777.JPG

IMG_1787.JPG

Initial Build Part #3 - Plumbing Display & Sump

My Brother and I prepared all the plumbing for the tank in the driveway. (I'm the guy in the Dish Network Jacket) We cut and fit everything dry before we glued anything. I don't know if you have ever had to take apart glued PVC, but it is nearly impossible without cracking or breaking the pieces. After a little fun and getting everything glued up, I installed everything and prepared for a water test.

PLUMBING COST: somewhere around $100. I bought so much crap and had to return for more a few times. You never know what your going to need until your right in the middle and you find out you don't have whats necessary. For the lines from sump to pump and pump to return I used clear flexible tubing so there would be less water flow restriction.

IMG_1788.JPG

IMG_1789.JPG

IMG_1790.JPG

IMG_1791.JPG

IMG_1792.JPG

IMG_1793.JPG

IMG_1794.JPG

IMG_1795.JPG

Initial Build Part #4 - Equipment Arrives

EQUIPMENT!!!
Finally all my items I oredered from Bulk Reef Supply Came! I was so excited.
-Reefkeeper Lite Plus - (This saved me tons of money by purchasing a tank controller. I didn't have to buy all the timers and bull crap and this would control everything from my lights, skimmer, pumps, power heads, heaters and other equipment I get in the future just the way I wanted.)
-RO system (Didnt get the DI because I have clean well water)
-Refractometer

IMG_1797.JPG

IMG_1799.JPG

IMG_1800.JPG

IMG_1802.JPG

IMG_1805.JPG

Initial Built Part #5.1 - Setup Time!

Next it was setup time. I setup everything in the house, mounted all my equipment inside the tank, and filled with water for run test. I used Krylon Fusion black spray paint and painted all the pieces I no longer wanted to see. These turned out great.

IMG_1814.JPG

IMG_1817.JPG

IMG_1818.JPG

IMG_1819.JPG

IMG_1821.JPG

IMG_1822.JPG

IMG_1827.JPG

IMG_1823.JPG

Initial Build Part #6 D.I.Y. Acclimation Box & Fish

D.I.Y. Acclimation Box

Here is an acclimation box I built because I dont like to spend money. I built this out of left over acrylic I purchased for the tank build. Really easy. Super glued the pieces together, taped, caulked, and I had myself an acclimation box. I tried to drill a hole in it for a overflow drip but it cracked and I had to silicone that. should have just sawed some weir teeth into it. Just an idea for next time. :) ***UPDATE*** Replaced broken pane with new teeth sawed into pane. Much nicer looking. I built this so that I can put the fish in here with the water they came in. I used airline hose to create a IV drip from my display tank into this box. Over time, the drip would overflow the water they came in and replace it with my tanks water, slowly acclimating the fish over a period of a couple hours. This worked fantastic and all my fish lived. I set this box on top of a 5 gallon bucket and let it overflow out of the hole I drilled in the acclimation box into the bucket. I waiting until I had about two gallons in the bucket and was sure almost all the water had been exchanged.

Two peppermint shrimp, Two Blue Green Reef Chromis, Royal Dotty Back Gama, Orange Spotted Goby.
I added all these fish at once as first livestock and I have yet to see any spike in nitrites/nitrates, PH, or Ammonia. Feeding them small amounts of Flake at 8am, and 1/2 cube of frozen brine shrimp at 8pm, Daily.

IMG_1851.JPG

IMG_1852.JPG

IMG_1853.JPG

IMG_1855.JPG

IMG_1856.JPG

IMG_1857.JPG

IMG_1858.JPG

Update 6/9/2011 A

Bought a new Odyssea 48" T5 HO w/Timer light for the tank. It came from UPS with smashed bulbs. Salvaged some old T5's I had around the house from another light until they send me replacements.

IMG_20120609_080437.jpg
IMG_20120609_080450.jpg

Dimensions - 48.00” x 8.50” x 3.00”
Brackets add 2.75" in height
Supports 4x 54W T5 high output fluorescent lamps
Supports 4x Bluemoon LED
216W total power
Built-in Timer for automatic light settings
Black, non corrosive powder coated aluminum housing
Non-corrosive powder coated aluminum housing
Highly polished, contoured reflector
Cooling Fan
Mounting brackets
Plug and play electronic ballast for quick swap
Optional hanging kit (add $13.00)
Listing includes:
1x 48" T5 Quad w/Timer fixture
1x Mounting Legs Set
2x 54W T5 HO lamps 10000K
2x 54W T5 HO lamps Actinic Blue
4x LED
$119.00 Shipped.

Update 6/9/2012 B

Bought a new Clown Fish and a new Astria Snail. I now have (2) Astria Snails.

IMG_20120609_080703.jpg

Clown swims too fast to get a good focus. Sorry!

IMG_20120609_080715.jpg

Also added gutter guard to my weir teeth to keep the fish from jumping over the weir. This works great. Haven't had to pull fish from my filter sock in awhile.

IMG_20120609_080525.jpg

Looks good. My ony concern is your return plumbing. How are you preventing backflow in then event of a power outage (or just turning off the pump)?

There is a check valve at the return "T" in back. My sump will also hold up to the return holes. Thinking of adding a second one just in case for giggles.

IMG_1817.JPG

That's one sweet set up.. A lot of thought and money gone into that. Congrats

ReeferRusty said:
I don't think so, the kit has always read that. I don't know why.

My api test kit does the same for some reason. But with salifert and jbl comes out at 0????!!??!!??!

Back
Top Bottom