Sad Day In My Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeverumGuy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, my electric blue Jack Dempsey died today. He was only around 8-10 months old at around 2". He was my favorite fish that I've owned and I spent $25 on him. The fish store I got him from is sold out and they said they're lucky to get one shippment a year. I believe the rubber lip pleco I put in there last week ate the slime coat off of him. I noticed last night that the Jack was pale and his scales were just kind of falling off if he brushed against something. He was active every once in a while but mostly bottom sitting watching his surroundings. I took the pleco out and my girlfriend took it home for her small tank until I can return it to petsmart. I did a water change and cleaned the gravel up some since it's been about 2 weeks since a gravel vac and a week since a PWC. I also added some aquarium salt to try to help him feel better and heal up. I woke up around noon and found him dead behind a bush..poor guy..now I'm on to smaller and multiple things. Long live the hobby =P

Sorry to hear about your loss. It's always to tough to lose one that has brought so much enjoyment over the years.

I to am very sorry of your loss, our Cichlids are a constant source of enjoyment.
Don't give up on having Cichlids. They are usually easy to care for.
Plecos are also usually not destructive.
Next time you think that your fish are loosing their slime coat, try a little Stress Coat, it helps repair slime and keeps fish mellow while they heal.
Good luck with any fish you choose to go with in your future.

thats sad...:( i always hate when one of my fish die. i had a baloon molly when i was young and she would follow my finger around the tank. i cried when she died. she really was special but my mother in her odd way of cheering me up back then said.."you loose one but the you go out to a store and gain two..:D" that made me feel better. its always sad though.
melani :(

Back
Top Bottom