Safety issue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

naptime6

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just replaced my 60 hex with a long 60 gallon (48" long, 24" high, approx 12" deep). I got it all set up in my living room (on carpet) and when we walk across the room it shakes a little bit. When I gently push on the tank it rocks back & forth and that gets worse & worse as the water starts sloshing! I have a 6 month old son who is just starting to pull up on things. Is this tank going to fall over and kill my son?

What suggestions do you have to stabilize it?

I am so scared. TIA.

First, I would definitely not let your child anywhere near it until someone more knowledgeable responds. I have read in the past that when you put an aquarium on carpet it will take several days or a week to settle in and become more stable, this being because the longer it sits the more the carpet becomes compressed (like if you've ever moved a couch you've seen where it left the compressed parts under where the legs used to be). I hope someone who knows about this stuff with respond and help you out! good luck

Your tank will not fall over. I would be more concerned of your son falling and hitting his head on the tank. I would recommend getting a sturdy stand for it!

naptime6 said:
I just replaced my 60 hex with a long 60 gallon (48" long, 24" high, approx 12" deep). I got it all set up in my living room (on carpet) and when we walk across the room it shakes a little bit. When I gently push on the tank it rocks back & forth and that gets worse & worse as the water starts sloshing! I have a 6 month old son who is just starting to pull up on things. Is this tank going to fall over and kill my son?

What suggestions do you have to stabilize it?

I am so scared. TIA.

I can understand your concern i have a 18 month old stepson and one on the way one of two things i would recommend is look into a better stand or the other option is to mount the stand to the wall i work as a maintenance man so making things and fixing i do lol you could find the studs in the wall and screw the back supports into the studs to make it more secure just an opinion

When I picked up my last 55 Marineland tank/stand/hood being that it too is only 12 inches deep the instructions on the stand actually said to anchor it to the wall. It sits on a tile floor, we didn't anchor it, and truthfully I don't think its as stable as it should be. The door to that room gets closed and is off limits when the grandkids come. I'd definitely see about getting it anchored especially since the stand matches the tank IMO.

+1 to that, I live in apartment so anchoring it isn't really an option and didn't even come to mind. Definitely anchor it to some studs if you don't have to worry about end-of-lease inspections!

Back
Top Bottom