sailfin molly death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mc96928

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently bought a bigger tank for my gold fish, and was left with a 10 gallon tank that was empty. I cleaned it out and added plants as well as new gravel. I purchased 2 sailfin mollys and within 2 days of being in the tank they began to just lay at the bottom of the tank motionless. One following the other and finally reaching a plant and sitting there for hours. Tonight one had very shallow breathing and almost no movement at all. All at once she started springing up to the top of the tank and floating back down without a twitch to the bottom. She did this multiple times before she finally stopped jumping and stopped breathing all together. My other is have labored breathing but he seems to he a bit better. I bought some different things, like an all range medication as well as a stabilizer to stabilize Ph, ammonia, and all that fun stuff. If someone could please give me some insight on what was wrong with them. Or what i need to do.

Has your tank been cycled? A 10 gallon is rather small for sailfin mollies, i had one and they get pretty big.

No my tank had not been completely cycled, but no other fish had an problems.
Sadly the other molly died last night. I woke up to find him wedges between the heater and the tank.

Nitrate- 20ppm
Nitrate- .5ppm
Hardness- 25ppm
Chlorine- 0ppm
Alkalinity- 40ppm
Ph- 7.2

I've been to get the nitrates down without any luck.

Why have none of my other fish been affected?

I have 7 Lyretail Guppy's at the moment. And my tank is planted.

Would you recommend a testing kit. Right now i'm using strips and i heard they aren't very good

Yep i use API master kit and don't worry about your ph your fish will adjust to it. Good luck

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom